Good 12-15X binos?

My hunting style is ever changing and for next year I would really like to update my binos. Most of the time, I am glassing more and more with my spotter as my bino's just can't discern very much detail at the distances we are glassing. Would love to pick up a pair of binos in the 12x range but am not familiar with any. I think 15x's may be a bit overkill and I know they aren't the greatest to use without glassing from a sitting position or with a tripod. It's too bad Vortex doesn't offer a 12X bino as I get them at a significant discount for personal optics.

Realistically, my price range is going to be maxed out around $700-$800. My hunting partner uses a pair of Minox 12-15x variable bino's that are clear, but I'm not a big fan of the eyebox, and they are very heavy. Don't really like Leupold as I think they are overpriced for the quality. I would look at the Vortex Viper HD's in 15x50 but I just don't think they'll have the low light performance with that 50mm objective. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Minox makes a good pair of 13x and 15x bins.

I have only briefly seen the Vortex Kaibabs, but thought they were awesome!

For me, anything over 10x benefits from a tripod greatly. I prefer my 10x on a tripod, actually. There are plenty of people that handhold 12x fine though.

Meopta makes a 12x50 bin, and they just generally make quality bins.

OP
HellsCanyon
Minox makes a good pair of 13x and 15x bins.

I have only briefly seen the Vortex Kaibabs, but thought they were awesome!

For me, anything over 10x benefits from a tripod greatly. I prefer my 10x on a tripod, actually. There are plenty of people that handhold 12x fine though.

Meopta makes a 12x50 bin, and they just generally make quality bins.

Thanks Matt! I'll have to check out the Meopta's. What would you say they are comparable to on the Vortex line? I have the most experience with Vortex and I've been using a pair of 10x42 Minox since '07 and the coatings have warn off to the point of fogging ridiculously easy, especially on the left lens. Also looking for more clarity...

Will also check out those other Minox binos. I think the Vortex Kiababs are a bit out of my range unfortunately...

Mike
Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The Meostar line compares with the Razors. They aren't cheap though, and retail new for a similar price to the Kaibabs.

The Samplelist listing dotman posted is the Meopta bin I am talking about, it is just in "Cabelas Euro" garb.

I haven't seen the 12x conquest, but I have seen a 15x version, and didn't care for it too much, seemed a little dim.

What were your Minox, Mike? They make everything from entry level to super high end. I would contact them about your lens coating failure. I don't know exactly what you mean by clarity, but the 13X56 Minox BR I saw a couple years ago had excellent resolution and good contrast. It has been a while since I have seen them, but I don't remember any particular glare issues either.

OP
HellsCanyon
Dotman, thanks for the links. The Zeiss you posted to I've seen and I think I want something with atleast a 50mm objective. I think anything less might not be the best in low light conditions. That's a good deal on the Meopta's though... definitely will check them out some more...

Matt,
I believe my Minox are the BL 10x42 BR model. I think I paid around $280 for them in '07. GREAT value for the money at the time, but they really have been beat around pretty good. Dropped more times than I can count and they at new were comparable to the Vortex Vipers I've looked through. I already sent them back in this year for the fogging issue, and it took 6 weeks to get them back and they didn't do anything except replace the seals on the objectives and the problem is as prominent as ever. Things like "cat-crap" work but quickly wear off. I'm tough on my gear and after 5 faithful years of service, it's time to upgrade. They've been a great pair of bino's but I'd like to upgrade this next year...

Mike

Last edited:
OP
HellsCanyon
The cabelas euros are meopta's the 12x50 are on sale for 749 right now regular 999.00

Man, wish I had the coin right now... probably be upgrading sometime summer 2013 if everything falls into place alright though. :(

Mike

BigWave

Lil-Rokslider
From what I understand, Vortex is working on the Razor HD in a 12x50 right now. It sounds like its close to being in production so that might be worth a look.

dotman

WKR
It probably is good your low on optics coin, seems like the New stuff comes out around spring and a larger selection of demos are floating around then also :)

OP
HellsCanyon
From what I understand, Vortex is working on the Razor HD in a 12x50 right now. It sounds like its close to being in production so that might be worth a look.

That would be exactly what I'd want. I'm assuming they will be a bit more expensive that their 10x models but I might be able to swindle a deal somewhere! :)

Dotman you're correct! Especially with some big shows coming up this winter, lots of new models being revealed and as you say a lot of display models come up discounted!

Mike