"Good" $50 Tripods?

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, so I've been checking a bunch of previous threads trying to find a needle in a haystack....I realize what I'm asking might not exist but I'm going to ask it none the less for my dad.

Long story short, were doing our first elk hunt this September in MT and my dad's not a "gear junkie" like I or my brother and he's not going to be spending tons of days in the field as my brother and I are getting into backpack hunting. I'm also a big believer in "buy once, cry once." So while I have no issues paying $$ for quality GOOD gear, my dad isn't. He's looking at price and "it just needs to work."

But I'm trying to find a tripod and smooth head for him around $50-75 for glassing with his Redfield 10x42 binos. Nothing fancy but functional.

I'm all ears.

Again, I know I'm trying to find a needle in a haystack, but hey, why not at least ask?!

Geewhiz

WKR
BD5B0F70-B149-4E0F-BEA1-6D1384D1A5E3.png
I have been using this tripod for the past 10 years. It’s fairly light and plenty strong, and folds up smaller than a lot of the carbon fiber ones. Honestly I would probably buy another one when mine craps out. I did put a benro fluid head on it but I used it for 5 years with the factory head as well.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 301076
I have been using this tripod for the past 10 years. It’s fairly light and plenty strong, and folds up smaller than a lot of the carbon fiber ones. Honestly I would probably buy another one when mine craps out. I did put a benro fluid head on it but I used it for 5 years with the factory head as well.
Would you consider the ball head to be smooth?

In my mind I would value a smooth ball head for glassing.

FYI for comparison I have a Slik 634 carbon fiber with a Suriu VA-5 head that I use personally that I like.

Geewhiz

WKR

FYI for comparison I have a Slik 634 carbon fiber with a Suriu VA-5 head that I use personally that I like.
Compared to your VA-5 I would say for sure not as smooth, but for glassing with cheaper 10x42's it would be just fine. Getting a nice head alone isn't gonna happen for $50 let alone a tripod and head.

I honestly don't have either, but it looks like the high country has a ball head and the summit has a pan head. Also looks like the summit packs down smaller/shorter

Not even close to comparable.

Maybe check into renting from Rent guns and gear.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Not even close to comparable.

Maybe check into renting from Rent guns and gear.
Yeah, I knew they wouldn't be even close. I'm just trying to find something that will suit my dad's needs: Cheap and functional.

I have a Vanguard forsale.
I wouldn't call it smooth but its usable.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Vanguard forsale.
I wouldn't call it smooth but its usable.
Appreciate the offer, but he went ahead and grabbed one of them Summit's from aaoptics.