Good ballistics calculator…. ?

Any recommendations? I know it’s not real world but I’d still like to play around with some rough ideas off what to expect. Years ago I remember one that asked but barrel length, twist rate, sight above bore, and even more stuff. Can’t find anything like that now.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Back in the day before ballistic apps, I used the JBM web site. Pretty sure that was from the late 1990s, even before laser range finders were commonly available. JBM is free and pretty reliable.

Apps I have used are Strelok Pro, Applied Ballistics and Hornady 4DOF. The Hornady app is free to download and use. It has a table of Hornady data preloaded, and you can manually add other ballets. I found some differences in results with the 4DOF app vs the other apps I use, and since I am more invested in other apps, I didnt really persevere with it.

I have used Strelok and AB a lot more. I use Strelok the most because I find the interface easiest to use. AB is very good too, but I find its a lot harder to read the data off the app in bright sunlight. Just for that reason, I find I use Strelok the most.

Macintosh

WKR
AB is the gold standard. Strelok pro is pretty good And easy to use. It includes all of the data inputs you mentioned plus more, and its easy to set up and save multiple rifles or ammo combinations.

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
Strelok Pro is what I use. Once I verify my speed and B.C. it works well, as do other quality products. Easy to use and intuitive.

amassi

WKR
Another vote for applied ballistics.
Having an accurate bc to play with is priceless

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I don't use any apps in field. I have used JBM to develop preliminary charts and refine them down and tru numbers. Never had any issue with it and it is free which is a big plus.

OP
P
JBM came up with almost identical numbers to program I used. If 3 high at 100 in was supposed to be -1.71 at 300.

Fired three shots at 300 and seems about right. Obviously not going to win any competitions with such shooting, but good enough for me. These the only three we shot. I was right most. Then Hunting partner was the low one and then he left most. Again, not super pretty but what looks to be about 3 inch group at 300 works for me. He was visibly uncomfortable behind the gun on his first shot (the low one) and was wearing no glasses. Of course that’s about how it’ll go down in a hunting situation!

5E9E59F7-DCE6-40DE-8336-A1F04E5E45CC.jpeg

4ester

WKR
I have been using Shooter for many years. Bryan Litz helped develop it before moving onto Applied Ballistics.

Pretty much comes down to how much time you spend getting everything perfect. Garbage in=garbage out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As most has already stated most will be accurate for hunting distances. The key is having a good data to input into the solver. you didn’t mention distance, factory ammo or reloaded ammo. Most programs will be equal out to about 600 yds. After that is when your data inputs will show any error in the info. I would say most shoots are missed due to not reading the wind.
Pick 1 and have fun learning.