Good Billy?

UtahJimmy

WKR
Had an awesome encounter with this Billy yesterday. Walked up on him napping at 35 yards. Tossed a few rocks to wake him up as he was on the only route with cliffs on both sides. He stood up and walked right up to me and my dog. Pup is a very white yellow lab so I think he thought he was another goat.

Well he just stood at 5 paces stomping the ground. It was such a cool experience!

Anyway I got a bunch of pics I wanted to share and see if he would score well? I know nothing about scoring these things so I figured I'd ask.
a99e18516b522970f4498d4540ec0474.jpg
80140aed6b0429a7eaf01a5d920fb283.jpg
5d5b66ae46cce32350d9ffe96f75afce.jpg
8ecb1cbb619d281d76a83cdbcfb0fbee.jpg
095c1aef0d6fd0483583987026506c06.jpg
9f5532ec7fc0c7cd50ada369f7cd69f1.jpg
8ea3e804aef1c889595351a22276f26c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
My half ass assertion of this billy. I can’t decide if he’s 4.5 or 5.5 years old. He’s definitely on the younger side with that shorter face and I think he’s a 8.5-9”er. Cool pics. He will be a bruiser in a couple years.

Jimss

WKR
Most billies reach their body maximum size at around 5 1/2 years age. Here in Colo the goats have been transplanted from several different states and locations. Certain mtn ranges have magnum sized bodies while others have relatively small body sizes at 6+ years of age. Billies grow horns extremely quickly in their lifetime. Here in Colo a 3 year old billy can have 9" horns....and most mature billies don't have horns much over 9".

With that said, I would guess the billy in the photos has around 9" horns. I've harvested a few in Alaska and 1 hunt in Colo with super massive horns. I would venture a guess that the billy in the photo has decent mass but may be shy of making the B&C book. He would easily make P&Y because the standards are so low. He would likely be considered a nice billy in Utah or Colo. If I was on a guided hunt in the best B&C areas in BC or Alaska I would keep looking. He's a cool goat!

Last edited:

Decker9

WKR
Good up’n comer! Looks like a 4.5 year old to me, pushing close to 9”. If a guys lookin for his first billy, there’s nothin wrong with that one!! In another 2-3-4 years tho, he’s gonna be a stud!!

Jimss

WKR
If you zoom in on the closest photos you can see several of the rings on his horns. I think everyone's 4 1/2 year old assessment is really close. If you look through the last few year's harvest reports in Colo there aren't that many 4 1/2+ year old billies harvested in most units. The CPW has increased tags to the point that it's tough to find 4 1/2+ year old billies.

In regard to B&C mtn goat scoring...the 4 mass measurements make up a large % of the total score. You can see how it is important that there is good mass all the way to the tips.

He's a nice billy and sounds like an exciting experience!

Last edited:

OFFHNTN

WKR
Now THAT is awesome!
Question: Where you in a popular hiking area, or in an area with a lot of people around? It amazes me how I hear and see things like this where goats act almost tame around people. A hunter goes and whacks one without much effort, then says how easy of a hunt it is and that goats are dumb. My goat hunt in BC could not have been further from this and animals would bolt when we were still several hundred yards away.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Now THAT is awesome!
Question: Where you in a popular hiking area, or in an area with a lot of people around? It amazes me how I hear and see things like this where goats act almost tame around people. A hunter goes and whacks one without much effort, then says how easy of a hunt it is and that goats are dumb. My goat hunt in BC could not have been further from this and animals would bolt when we were still several hundred yards away.
Negative on the popular area. This is in a wilderness area. It's 3/4 of a mile as the crow flies to the nearest trail and over 2k in vertical. I believe I saw him (it was definitely A goat, not sure if the same) there last year too from across the drainage. When I approached him after I was getting a little uncomfortable with his distance, he only ran a little ways and let me pass. I saw him a few weeks later on the same ridge on the morning my buddy shot his bull.

I've also seen tame goats near popular hiking trails, but this was on a whole other level!

OFFHNTN

WKR
Negative on the popular area. This is in a wilderness area. It's 3/4 of a mile as the crow flies to the nearest trail and over 2k in vertical. I believe I saw him (it was definitely A goat, not sure if the same) there last year too from across the drainage. When I approached him after I was getting a little uncomfortable with his distance, he only ran a little ways and let me pass. I saw him a few weeks later on the same ridge on the morning my buddy shot his bull.

I've also seen tame goats near popular hiking trails, but this was on a whole other level!

Interesting.
Thanks for sharing!