Good Catfish area?

Conroy

WKR
My son and I are looking for a long weekend road trip from Wisconsin to try to catch some catfish. Driving 8-10 hours isn't a problem, I am just not sure how far we would have to go to get into some decent fishing in February. Any suggestions, places to try? We will be fishing from shore. Any help is appreciated.

My son and I are looking for a long weekend road trip from Wisconsin to try to catch some catfish. Driving 8-10 hours isn't a problem, I am just not sure how far we would have to go to get into some decent fishing in February. Any suggestions, places to try? We will be fishing from shore. Any help is appreciated.
I don’t have any direct help, but my buddies fish the Mississippi River all the time. They catch some big ones

Fordguy

WKR
Depending on what part of Wisconsin you're traveling from, I can think of several areas in northeast Oklahoma that offer really good winter catfishing opportunities. You might also luck into a spoonbill, or try for them deliberately. I don't usually fish for them (snagging is how its done and it's legal). Not sure if you're looking to travel that far, but if so I can give you a few tips.

Anywhere on the Mississippi or Ohio. No sure how far central Oklahoma is but I could put you in a few spots there.

netman

WKR
Smithland Dam on the Ohio river near Paducah. Confluence of the Ohio and Missippi. John T Myer Dam near Uniontown Kentucky. Confluence of the Ohio and Wabash River.
All can be fished with a non res Kentucky license.
These pictures are of some of the catfish I’ve caught.62B26B7F-77B6-437F-9800-DB8135B95D26.jpegA322541E-A59D-43EC-A96E-1FC685B71F78.png76C7FA0D-4D82-4AE7-AFD8-A90791693AEB.png76C7FA0D-4D82-4AE7-AFD8-A90791693AEB.png2FBE1437-6C2F-41DF-ADBB-B5ED91E65D9E.png16B1AAE8-5982-4508-96FF-F3A632214CCC.jpeg

OP
C

Conroy

WKR
Thanks for all the replies! Oklahoma and Kentucky are not too far to drive. Can we fish from shore this time of year? I know catfish are usually in deeper holes when it’s colder. We would head down there 2/11 and spend the weekend hitting different spots until we find them.

netman

WKR
You can fish off the bank at Barkley and Kentucky lake dams. Lots of big catfish come from below those dams too. If you time it right you can snag spoonbill there too.
Look on YouTube for fishing those dams for catfish and spoonbills
Fishing out of a boat would be better but bank fishing is doable.
John T Myer dam is fishable from the bank too

netman

WKR
Newburgh dam is another dam you could fish from the bank. Over on the Kentucky side you can walk out on the weir and fish from it.
I live a couple miles from the Newburgh dam.

DroptineDC18

Lil-Rokslider

bigjohn

FNG
Another option other than dams are power plants that are running. If you can access and fish on the outlet side where the warm water discharges it’s good. TVA has several in Tennessee and some in Kentucky. Shawnee plant is close to Paducah but I’m not sure you can access their discharge by land.

ncstewart

WKR
I don’t do a lot of cold water cat fishing first off but a lot of folks in my area seem to do well this time of year on blues. Bank fishing is very possible where I am in AR. Below most of the dams on the Arkansas river in OK or AR should be pretty decent and good access. Most all have camp grounds as well if that’s something you looking at. If ya want some more info on my area just PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDK

FNG
If your looking for something a little closer the Horseshoe Chain of Lakes in Richmond MN will provide you lots of action but not the slobs posted above. All channel cats and lots of them.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
out of curiosity how do those giant cats eat?

when we lived on the Yellowstone we would throw any Channel cats back over anything about 5 lbs, 2-4 lbs were the good eaters

ncstewart

WKR
Big flatheads and blues are fine. Most folks in my area don’t keep channels but personally I eat them.