Good entry level in line for my wife

Michael54

WKR
For the past 3 years I take my wife out for the first day of early muzzleloader season here in pennsylvania. She always uses my in line but i can tell (and she tells me all the time) that shes just not comfortable with it. I'm a big guy with broad shoulders and long arms and it doesn't seem like my custom gun fits her. So what are everyone's thoughts or opinions on an in line under $500 price range that would be better for her? I'm thinking it will be a christmas gift

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
For reference I guess her deer rifle is a browning a bolt medallion in 7mm-08.

Last edited:

OXN939

WKR
CVA Wolf. 250 grain Barnes T-EZ over 85 grains of BH 209 with magnum 209 primers (using BH 209-specific breech plug), and you will into a very capable setup with less recoil than 7mm-08. It's also a rifle that can be had, on sale, for under $180, so you could do some "stock modification" to shorten the length of pull without concern about mutilating a valuable firearm.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Just got my wife Traditions Strikerfire muzzleloader. She loves it. Shoots great.
Likes no hammer just basically 2 safety's.
Real easy to use

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
CVA Wolf. 250 grain Barnes T-EZ over 85 grains of BH 209 with magnum 209 primers (using BH 209-specific breech plug), and you will into a very capable setup with less recoil than 7mm-08. It's also a rifle that can be had, on sale, for under $180, so you could do some "stock modification" to shorten the length of pull without concern about mutilating a valuable firearm.
Thanks for the input! I have a local gunsmith thats only a few miles from me for stock modifications. I may be biased but he made my mossberg silver reserve 2 fit me like my browning and it actually looks like it came from the factory. Any recommendation on a scope for it? All shots will be under 125 yards. (Kind of a rule of thumb on the farm for inlines)

OXN939

WKR
Thanks for the input! I have a local gunsmith thats only a few miles from me for stock modifications. I may be biased but he made my mossberg silver reserve 2 fit me like my browning and it actually looks like it came from the factory. Any recommendation on a scope for it? All shots will be under 125 yards. (Kind of a rule of thumb on the farm for inlines)

No worries! That's kind of the fun part about getting a gun like that- it's almost asking to be customized, since you're not risking losing much. If you have someone who can do it professionally for you, that's best case. Any of the Vortex Diamondback series works well; they have a 1.75-5 that sounds like it would fit your needs nicely. Mine wears a 3-9x40. It is comically accurate and capable for a $150 firearm.

20191009_160725.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Thanks for the load info too! My in line doesn't get much attention in the grand scheme of things to be honest. 2 50 gr pyrodex pellets and a .245 grain powerbelt down the barrel is all i've really ever used. We only have a week long doe only season for inlines here in pa. We have a primitive arms season that runs a little under a month where we can use bow, crossbow, flintlock

OXN939

WKR
Thanks for the load info too! My in line doesn't get much attention in the grand scheme of things to be honest. 2 50 gr pyrodex pellets and a .245 grain powerbelt down the barrel is all i've really ever used. We only have a week long doe only season for inlines here in pa. We have a primitive arms season that runs a little under a month where we can use bow, crossbow, flintlock

No worries. Silly that PA gives you such a short window of opportunity- if they're giving you a "primitive weapons" season, they might as well let take animals in the most ethical way possible. The big benefit of BH 209 is that it's much less corrosive than Pyrodex, T7 or any other substitute. You simply clean your rifle with any solvent you'd use for centerfire rifles, such as Hoppe's, oil it and you're good. Just know that you *must* use the correct breech plug with magnum primers, or it will not ignite reliably. It is also extremely consistent and accurate, from what I have seen.

Saboted ammunition is really the way to go if you're investing in a scope. The Barnes I mentioned can be easily found online, but the T/C Shockwaves are available at Walmarts or Dick's. The former has better terminal performance.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Another plug for the cva wolf. I’m getting 3in groups at 100 yards with zero load development. I saw them on sale at my local Walmart for about $80 if you can wait until spring. The iron sights it comes with a plastic and will fall right off tho. It’s a compact gun pretty short LOP should fit her just fine.
775C84DC-53F4-45E6-B611-3E34AE9DC351.jpeg

How about a Knight Wolverine for $300?

https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product-category/muzzleloaders/wolverine-muzzleloader/

Stainless Green Mountain match grade barrel and Timney trigger with an accuracy guarantee.

Disclaimer... I own 4 Knight rifles and hunt and live in Colorado where full bore conicals and open sights are required. All of my Knight's shoot well under 2 inches at 100 yards with heavy lead. I would have to guess that a scope and sabots would be well beyond any "primitive arms" designation as far as performance is concerned.

Oh yeah, 100% made in USA, which I personally think is cool.

Mountaineer .50 with laminated stock
Mk 85 .50 with laminated stock
Mk .50 with synthetic stock
Mk .54 with synthetic stock

(I have kids to hand these down to...at least that is what I tell my wife ;)

Last edited:
OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
How about a Knight Wolverine for $300?

https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product-category/muzzleloaders/wolverine-muzzleloader/

Stainless Green Mountain match grade barrel and Timney trigger with an accuracy guarantee.

Disclaimer... I own 4 Knight rifles and hunt and live in Colorado where full bore conicals and open sights are required. All of my Knight's shoot well under 2 inches at 100 yards with heavy lead. I would have to guess that a scope and sabots would be well beyond any "primitive arms" designation as far as performance is concerned.

Oh yeah, 100% made in USA, which I personally think is cool.

Mountaineer .50 with laminated stock
Mk 85 .50 with laminated stock
Mk .50 with synthetic stock
Mk .54 with synthetic stock

(I have kids to hand these down to...at least that is what I tell my wife ;)
Our primitive arms season is open sights flintlock and bow/crossbow only. So short of a hunt with it elsewhere, we only have 1 week to actually hunt with an in line or we can use it during rifle season if we want. Its doe only for that week of in line season as well. I personally like it because its a chance for me to hunt with my wife and she can make all the noise she wants without me getting upset.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
CVA Accura V2. should be able to find for $350 on sale. I shoot 1.5" group at 100 with 100 grains by volume of BH 209

CorbLand

WKR
I would also suggest the optima. I had a wolf that I never could get to shoot accurate. Bought an optima and had it up and going quick.

OXN939

WKR
Our primitive arms season is open sights flintlock and bow/crossbow only. So short of a hunt with it elsewhere, we only have 1 week to actually hunt with an in line or we can use it during rifle season if we want. Its doe only for that week of in line season as well. I personally like it because its a chance for me to hunt with my wife and she can make all the noise she wants without me getting upset.

Had the Wolf out last night. Went very well.

Polish_20191106_090304945.jpg

Eric Bailey

Lil-Rokslider
This is good advice. CVA also makes a compact version of the wolf which has a 1" shorter stock and therefore LOP.