Good family raft

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Probably a long shot here, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a descent reliable and reasonably priced white water fishing style raft. I’d love to be able to take my wife and 4 and 7 year old as well as possibly 2 dogs but not completely necessary. I’ll primarily be floating the salmon river in ID
I am just starting to begin my research but thought I’d throw it out to the rokslide fam as well, thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geologist

FNG
In Idaho you have both Aire and Maravia manufactured there. NRS rafts are manufactured abroad but are a good value. Personally, I think the best offshore manufactured rafts are made by HiSide. Stay away from Chinese crap.

If you want the best of the best, the Swarovski of rafts, get a Wing, made in Arcata, California. A quality 14-foot raft will run $5,000-$8,000 new... I own a 14.5 foot Wing. Suitable for Class V as a paddle raft, or hauling gear with an oar frame, or set up for fishing with a fishing frame.4329E28F-3B7E-4E99-B1E8-90ED3AD07AC4.jpeg

Jkr61

FNG
Log onto Mountain Buzz forum there can be good setups there for rafts. A little more geared toward the whitewater side of things but a fair amount of fishing style raft frames as well. I don’t have a fishing frame but I’m very familiar with rafts and whitewater frames if you have any more specific questions.

OP
Jacobo2012

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Log onto Mountain Buzz forum there can be good setups there for rafts. A little more geared toward the whitewater side of things but a fair amount of fishing style raft frames as well. I don’t have a fishing frame but I’m very familiar with rafts and whitewater frames if you have any more specific questions.

Thanks for the heads up on that other forum!!! If I have any questions I’ll def pm you.
Don’t want any bad experiences with two youngins and not much experience rafting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geologist

FNG
I definitely second what Jkr61 said, to check out the classifieds on Mountain Buzz. There are often 14-16 foot rafts, fully set up with frames, oars, dryboxes, etc... for $6,000 to $8,000.

I also want to add that you MUST take a legit swiftwater rescue course, especially if you are going to be responsible for your family. There are a bunch of classes in Idaho... I strongly recommend https://www.cascaderaft.com/swiftwater-rescue-training-wilderness-first-aid

I have an 16ft NRS Outlaw. Excellent mid range raft for the family (Wife, 2 boys and a dog). Good recomendation on checking out Mountainbuzz also. I'm on that site also and there's usually good raft setups that would work if you keep an eye out long enough.

For the family, I highly recommend getting a 16ft and not 14ft. Two feet in a raft is a huge difference in comfort, storage, and all-around usefulness.

Good luck!

WKR
We just got a flycraft x (12 foot). It's definitely not what you're asking about but it's brilliant fun on mild water conditions for fishing. I can load it in my shortbed Dodge by myself (it ain't easy, but doable) while fully assembled or can put the frame on top of the truck and the rubber in the truck bed if we're towing the camper. Very functional for my situation.

Just yesterday we had one of those "core memory" moments. My 14 year old daughter has taken to rowing like a pig to mud. She was on the sticks in a moderate but somewhat tricky whitewater section and I was fishing in the front of the boat, hooked a nice brown and my 16 year old daughter in the back netted it and released the fish for me.

That right there was worth the price of the boat to me.

Tributary will be your best bang for buck boat.

They used to be exactly the same as AIRE but made in China. Since 2015ish they changed the model (HD), which has cheaper/heavier material, but it is still the best bang for your buck.

Otherwise buy used if you can’t stomach the crazy cost of new! Highly recommend going Hypalon if you get a used boat (HYSIDE/NRS/Avon). If you buy used PVC I would offer a lot lower than asking, since it will end up in a landfill once it’s 25 years old (if you’re lucky). AIRE has replaceable inner bladders and a solid reputation for durability/longevity, which makes them a safer bet for a used PVC boat.