Good fixed blade knife for backcountry hunts

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Montana Knife Co speedgoat. It's pretty lightweight and holds its edge very well. They also have a speedgoat mini that I will be trying to get my hands on when they do another drop of them. Their knives go fast, they do drops of different styles throughout the year, and the drops usually sellout within about 5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
I will toss out a vote for ESEE. Not elegant or particularly expensive but solid knives For camp chores and the heavier aspects of butchery. I own a few from the izula to the junglas. My4 & 6 see the most use. The only one I don’t care for is the 5 survival version (thick and heavy due to a military spec).

my personal favorite belt knife is a Dan Winkler blade, but those start to get spendy and it’s a lot about preference beyond a point.
In your experience, how’s the Izula been for field dress game? Trying to decide between the Izula and the 3 for just the purpose of field dressing.

In your experience, how’s the Izula been for field dress game? Trying to decide between the Izula and the 3 for just the purpose of field dressing.
I have used it along with a havalon to skin and gut a couple of deer. I don’t care for using a skeletonized handle for that purpose. I tried a paracord wrap and don’t like them for working in blood. I gave up and moved to other knives With more traditional handles - my ESEE 4 and my Winkler.

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
I have used it along with a havalon to skin and gut a couple of deer. I don’t care for using a skeletonized handle for that purpose. I tried a paracord wrap and don’t like them for working in blood. I gave up and moved to other knives With more traditional handles
Blade-wise though did it perform well?

Gets a little subjective, but it cuts. mine is carbon steel so it needs a dab of oil or it will discolor. It held an edge OK but my havalon did nearly all the work. It served the purpose of breaking a few hip and leg joints down that tend to break or dismount my havalon blades.

really a point of preference but I prefer a slightly longer blade for animal work and general use and, as I mentioned i don’t like the handle. plenty of folks think they are great. I believe the great and powerful snyder rolled an izula for a while.

I had the altitude and sold it. That knife didn’t make through one leg on a moose. The Rainer Fastpak is a nice knife with elmax steel and about $100. I think I have settled on an argali carbon. The knife did extremely well on moose and sharpens very easy.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Bradford guardian 3 in magnacut. With the sheath it's a bit heavier than I would like for packing, but I'm hoping to not have to also bring a replaceable blade knife if the edge retention is as good as everyone says.

Shraggs

WKR
Very true. I found the S90V of the Altitude to chip out. Unfortunately I need stainless, so the carbon steels are off the table. Waiting for some MagnaCut options, like a CRK Inyoni (if I can ever find one).
S35vn is a stainless that performs like carbon while processing game. It will dent and roll and unlikely to chip.

Two others I’m gaining confidence in is cpm d2 (not d2) and cpm 154 (not 154 cm) - they are newer powdered versions.

All three have such a fine grain carbide structure that in hard use chips would be extremely small snd field touch up very doable. All are hard to sharpen of course.

My experience on these steels has all been bark river knives.

Mpw20

FNG
I’ve tried a lot of different knives over the years. Best I found for dressing deer is 3v and Magnacut as far as edge retention goes. I also find a toothy edge is best for me as I think it cuts down on the amount of hair it cuts. No longer into the mirror polished edges.

Flaboy

Lil-Rokslider
I recently picked up a blade from a fella from Instagram named Rob McKibbin that does custom work. The model I picked up is his Backcountry model in S30V. The few steels I know he offers is 20cv, s30v and s90v. They’re pricey but well worth it for his work. Don’t hesitate to message him because he's more than happy to talk and answer any questions. https://www.instagram.com/robmnicheFF6A76AD-7E60-4531-AF52-753DE3EB8ECE.jpeg
Wonder what happened with the Benchmade Altitude. No longer available. I like mine and the S90V seems to hold an edge very well.
They’re still some out there. BladeHQ and Scheels has some left.

I’m really interested in the new Benchmade Flyway.

For cutting in joints you probably want thin and narrow from spine to belly. A tough steel would be ideal in a fixed blade to avoid chipping against bone and any torquing motion.

This is a great read.

3v would be the toughest, 4v, M4, Cruwear would be better cutters.

I do the opposite; my fixed blade does most of the work processing. My replaceable blade is used for the exterior cuts, blade swapped and then for any joints.
Larrin is the king of knife steels right now! A good knife will be defined by the cornerstone of the steel and it's heat treat!

For detail work, I like a small blade about three inches long and 3/4 of an inch wide. My best are Solingen steel. For skinning and cleanup I like Montana made Ruana. I have a RMEF presentation knife that is a little large but it works well and holds a edge.

For touchup work I have a diamond impregnated touchup steel that comes in its own scabbard. I'm not a huge fan of stones but I have 3 or 4. Unless you never carry a pocket knife, it's probably good to learn how to sharpen your knives. It will buy you favor if you can keep the kitchen knives sharp.

Bucsfan69

FNG
Another vote for ESEE 4 for a general purpose camp/hunt knife. I have a Bark river gunny in Elmax I did an elk in the field and was still sharp, but it’s not what I’d consider a heavier duty camp knife