Good hike trails in eastern colorado?

*zap*

WKR
Want to do a few week section hike in july or august. If you know any trails it would help me research this, thanks.

WTFJohn

WKR
Want to do a few week section hike in july or august. If you know any trails it would help me research this, thanks.

Eastern CO is primarily flat-ish private farmland/rangeland with no trees or water, will be hotter than absolute shit in July/August, and most importantly for you doesn't have trails like you're talking about.

def90

WKR
What do you consider “eastern” Colorado? That would help. For us living here it means the eastern plains which are pretty barren and will have temps around 105 and up in July-August, not a place for a nice hike. If you mean the front range area, basically the I25 corridor then yes, you really can’t go more than a few miles without getting some altitude and a great hike. I break up the state as eastern = I25 east, not flat but basically nothing but prairie to the Kansas border, front range i25 to the divide-ish.. central mountains, and then the western slope.

wytx

WKR
There is some Open Space properties in eastern Co, we pass by one along I-70 out near Strasburg or somewhere.

def90

WKR
There is some Open Space properties in eastern Co, we pass by one along I-70 out near Strasburg or somewhere.

Yeah, there are sections along a couple of the major river corridors that have trails but that’s mostly it.

I'm guessing you mean the eastern slope, or front range mountains east of the continental divide. You could theoretically hike sections of those mountains from Pikes Peak all the way north to Rocky Mountain National Park or vice versa. The continental divide trail loosely follows the route.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Eastern half of the state is where I am interested in. Colorado trail out of Denver looks good so far. Guess eastern slope is the correct term.

TheViking

WKR
Eastern half of the state is where I am interested in. Colorado trail out of Denver looks good so far. Guess eastern slope is the correct term.
Front Range would be the correct term for the areas slightly west of Denver, and not fully "in the mountains".

Front Range area would be basically Colorado Springs to Boulder. Evergreen, Conifer, Rampart Range, etc.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a few weeks, you are probably looking at the Colorado Trail or the Continental Divide Trail. You could probably string together some trails in the Indian Peaks Wilderness and into RMNP. Another possibility is the Collegiate Loop, that's a 160ish mile loop on the east and west sections of the Colorado trail around the Collegiate Peaks. That wouldn't be eastern or even Front Range Colorado though.

CoStick

WKR
You can do an out and back from waterton canyon, lots of options, even more if you are being picked up and dropped off.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Thanks for the replies.....yes not the very eastern part for sure....

Appreciate the info, somewhere around co springs or denver to start would be good (I think). Want a trail that will be cooler at that time of year due to elevation but I also have to consider that I lived at 1000' forever.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies.....yes not the very eastern part for sure....

Appreciate the info, somewhere around co springs or denver to start would be good (I think). Want a trail that will be cooler at that time of year due to elevation but I also have to consider that I lived at 1000' forever.
The first 40ish miles of the Colorado Trail, starting in SW Denver, will probably not meet your desire for cooler. After the first 12ish miles you enter the Hayman burn area, it gets blazing hot through there with very little tree cover. It is a bit lower elevation though, probably 7,000' to 9,000' through a lot of the burn area. I find that area really interesting, it's quite open and like a moonscape in places. But if you are coming to Colorado that might not be what you are looking for. This photo is from Saturday. If you have any specific questions about the Front Range trails, feel free to pm me, I've run on quite a few of them. Though, not so much out of Colorado Springs.

BB74A6F5-173C-4EA0-9A07-D76A3C038E01_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I guess if look at the average temps for Denver the first sections of ct would be similar? Maybe start near Cooper mtn?

Plus being from Kansas if the humidity is low 80's would be fairly cool. I imagine low humidity is common in the Denver area?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess if look at the average temps for Denver the first sections of ct would be similar? Maybe start near Cooper mtn?

Plus being from Kansas if the humidity is low 80's would be fairly cool. I imagine low humidity is common in the Denver area?
Our summer in Denver is usually upper 80’s to low 90’s with under 15% humidity but the sun makes it feel like 110 on your skin. Go up in elevation and it definitely feels cooler as it is but the shade from trees and hills helps too.

Look into the “lost creek wilderness” area. It’s not far from Denver or Colorado Springs and it’s mostly a high altitude valley with streams. Lots of trails in their, the Colorado trail passes through it.

Watertown canyon or section 1 of the Colorado trail is kinda crappy as it is six miles of gravel road, but excellent sheep viewing. Section two and three are mostly old burn barren land with little water. Section four and on is where it gets good. Lots of YouTube videos showing the first few sections.

If you’re feeling more adventurous I know some less (relatively less) popular areas but it’s higher altitude and more remote. Pm me for more

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
coming from where I am 15% humidity would be awesome.. appreciate the help and I will probably reach out to some folks as it gets closer.

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Hit some of the state parks. I did that last summer while I was working in Denver. Usually about 40* when I stepped out of my truck in the parks. Logged over 75 miles just hiking on Sundays. Perfect for breaking in my boots, getting my pack adjusted and learning to use some new electronics.

Someone on here recommended using the All Trails app.....it's nice