Good hunting arrow? Easton, black eagle?

jpmulk

WKR
My unprofessional opinion: ive shot both rampages and axis and much prefer axis. Id say atleast dont shoot the halfserts if you choose the rampages.

The axis are a hit heavier but thicker walled too.

You can’t go wrong with either. Axis in my experiences have consistently been more durable due to thicker sidewalls when comparing the same spine. But can’t go wrong with either.

Holocene

WKR
To the OP, my specs are really close to yours so I'll chime in.

Easton Axis will be fine, but you'll end up with a very heavy arrow and shoot really slow. Expect 520 grains of arrow and around 260-270 fps at your specs.

A lighter GPI standard diameter arrow (.246") would be an awesome choice and give you an arrow weight around 440-460 grains overall and hum around 280-290 fps for you. Options would be Gold Tip Hunter Pro, Gold Tip Hunter XT, Black Eagle Carnivore, the new Gold Tip FORCE FOC. Shafts like that.

Pick based on budget and your desired speed.

I went through this years ago and landed on Gold Tip Hunter Pro 300 shafts cut at 29" carbon to carbon. I use their GTO nock bushing and put either an Easton Microlite nock or a Beiter 12/2 nock in depending on my serving size. The Gold Tip GTO nock is pretty good too and comes with the Pro shafts. I just use the regular Aculite insert and have played around with adding 10 or 20 grain FACT weights through the back of the arrow some years. These days, I pull 65# and shoot around 290fps so I leave out the FACT weights. FOC is 12% and overall weight is 447 grains or so.

My thought was .... all of these arrow builds are appropriate for this draw weight/length and WAY more than you need to kill anything in North America, so why shoot a slower arrow or pull more weight than you have to? Plus, standard diameter components are a lot easier to deal with.