Good hunting arrow? Easton, black eagle?

kcm2

WKR
Of the two, Easton. There are many good carbons, but my bowshop thinks the Black Eagles are very fragile in comparison. I shoot Gold Tips, used to shoot Bemans or Easton Axis. All three were great arrows. But I'm a hunter, not a target shooter.

axis and rampages seem to be the most popular on here. if you don;t want to mess with the 4/5mm components the easton bloodline with the brass inserts is a nice option if you are on a budget. I'm using both bloodlines and axis pros this season.

WMag338

WKR
Said no one ever.
I can't personally comment on the FMJ, but I've heard others have had issues where the arrow can sustain damage or bend if you pull out of a target at an angle or have a bad shot and miss. My axis are pretty resilient.

WMag338

WKR
Also, Easton's are made in USA. Always nice to support local folks that make a great product.

moon16

FNG
IMG_20210831_153727205.jpgIMG_20210831_153727205.jpg
Regretting FMJ. Hit the ground right below target and ripped the tip off. Never had that happen to my full carbon GT Hunter XTs..

I shoot BE rampage 300 spine with 205 total up front. Works great for me.
67#
30”
Arrow is 29.75 throat of nock to end of carbon

cjdewese

WKR
Just reiterating that GT hunter XT's have been really durable for me.

I shot a lot of Judo points at Quail and Rabbits this year and only broke 1 arrow as it bounced off the ground and hit a tree sideways shortly thereafter.

Outside of that 1 arrow, I have shot 1 arrow 30-40 times with judo point at everything from pinecones to stumps along with birds and rabbits and haven't broken another yet.

Only time I've busted the GT hunters was when I missed the target and got one stuck in a tree next to it, and when I was in the basement and shot through the bag target into the rock wall behind it. I would not expect any arrow to survive those situations :)

At the same time I've never had an issue with an FMJ either. I prefer a heavier arrow for elk so I like FMJ because it's easy to get a 550 - 575 grain arrow with about 12% FOC. With the GT Hunters I can easily get about 450 grain with 12%+ FOC. So for me it really comes down to wanting a heavier arrow for elk hunting.

JGoody

FNG
28.25" blackeagle rampage w/100 gr point & 80 grain insert out of a prime nexus 4 @ 27" draw set to 75 lb good setup cant complain

TX_Diver

WKR
I've hunted with match grade Axis and Rampage arrows a lot with our HIT Inserts and Impact Collars. They are two of my favorite arrow setups.

I'd agree on running an HIT insert with whatever you choose. I've run both and ultimately settled on the axis as they seem more durable. I use a brass HIT w/ a 10gr IW collar.