Good hunting pack options for small-framed woman?

RTR

FNG
The Better Half is only 115 lbs and 5'4". Anyone know of any good options for a pack that can pack out an elk quarter that is also going to fit her?

I'd prefer to stay with a reputable brand: Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, Kifaru, or EXO. My philosophy on what I'm willing to spend is two-fold: Buy once, Cry once. And... Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Marble

WKR
They each make packs specific for what you are looking for. I know Kifaru makes a 22" frame in the tactical version. I dont think you would go wrong with any of the brands you mentioned.

whoop

FNG
Have her try on a pop up 28 from mystery ranch. My two teenage boys each have one and it fits them well. I used one to help a buddy by packing out a elk hind quarter this fall and it did fine.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Call our shop . We have a couple smaller women having good luck as long as the torso is at least 16-17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCoppin

FNG
Mystery ranch makes a Pintler for women

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Not the same thing but I’ve had my “little” son in a Stone Glacier since he was 12, he’s almost 17 now and still wearing the same pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girlfriend, who is close to the same size, got a MR Metcalf with the womens harness this fall and absolutely loves it. This spring she borrowed my Exo for a backpacking trip with Artemis Sportswomen and although she said it worked fine for her she didn't like the way the shoulder straps fit her chest. MR has the straps that are more contoured for the female anatomy. She got the chance to pack out a couple deer with it this fall and has been very pleased with the fit. I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the packs you mentioned but the shoulder straps on the MR womens harness were what made the decision easy for her.

jdmaxwell

WKR
My wife has run Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, and Exo carrying elk quaters out. Most comfortable to her caring heavy weight is Exo. Most comfortable day pack was Mystery Ranch

OP
RTR

RTR

FNG
Great responses, gents. this gives me some good info to consider. Much appreciated!

LJ Buck

WKR
My wife runs a 22” Kifaru frame and loves it. She has tried SG and Exo and hands down loves her 22” Kifaru frame.

mae1993

FNG
My lady is the exact same size and after buying a MR Pintler, Kuiu 2300 with ultra suspension in s/m, sitka mountain hauler she wore them around for couple days and she really liked the shoulder yoke suspension on the Mystery Ranch but the frame was way to long and stuck up a mile. The kuiu had the best feeling hipbelt with about the right height frame and the Sitka belt was too big even the womens version.... but I just talked to MR and they are coming out with a womens version of the pop up with adjustable stays that slide up and down like a trekking pole so will be able to get the perfect load lifter height. I have the MR Pintler listed on ebay right now
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223791375795

My wife is 5'3 and 1/4, cant leave out the 1/4 or shell be mad. She tried out mystery ranch, tactical tailor, osprey and finally found that Hill People gear is what works for her. She has an Umlindi and a Ute that both adjust to her shorter torso and with a ranger belt isnt too big on her hips. Side note is the straps dont interfere with what she has going on in the chest area.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I think it'd be hard to beat a womens Metcalf from Mystery Ranch. A women's Glacier would be worth a look as well. The color wouldn't be ideal for hunting, but the frame on the Glacier is very strong and could handle a quarter with not problems.

Might depend on several factors in addition to her height and weight. Her body type, and hip placement can also affect which pack fits her best. My wife is 5' 7", 120 lbs, slim and not much curve in the hips. She had a tough time finding just the right pack. She normally wears women's Osprey packs for backpacking, but those backpacking packs just don't offer the support, rigidity, and comfort for heavy pack outs on elk.

We started her off with in Exo 3500, which she said was "okay" (I tried it and loved it) but the when the hip belt was properly centered on her hips, the belt cut into her ribs as well. Then she visited the Kifaru store and spent about an hour with Aaron Snyder trying to find a setup that would fit her body type. The Kifaru felt "decent" but still not quite comfortable with weight in it. After all that fitting, Aaron told her that her body type was just going to make it really tough to find a hunting-style pack that would fit her perfectly. He did recommend that she try on a Stone Glacier though (I really appreciated Aaron's transparency in recommending another company for her).

We went to a hunt expo in Denver and she got to try on the Stone Glacier with about 50lbs in it, and it was an instant, perfect match. Super comfortable, sturdy, and lightweight. We both really appreciated the simplistic design, and she loves that pack after putting on quite a few miles with some good weight in it. I'm so impressed with the Stone Glacier that I'd be tempted to get one myself...that is if I didn't absolutely love my Kifaru!

My suggestion would be to have your wife try on several of the top brands and walk around a bit. The easiest way to do this would be to go to like the Western Hunt Expo in Salt Lake City. It's a great expo, I highly recommend it!

sljensen

FNG
All great brands. For lighter duty work with an occasional heavy load well rated backpacking packs are super comfortable and really light in comparison to the heavy haulers mentioned.