Good Kuiu Gear?

I got a $100 Kuiu GC recently and they have like an additional $50 off right now. I'm not familiar with their gear. Is there anything really good that they have that I should consider?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Around that amount kuiu gaiters and the peloton if wanting to go above slightly the attack pants

A lot of their clothing is awesome. Do you have any specific needs - base layers, mid layers, insulation, etc?

A few of my favorite pieces are the zip-off base layers (Peloton 97), peloton 240 hoodie, super down ultra pants, and I have a few of their zip dry bags and they are nice.

Congrats. Have quite a bit of Kuiu gear. My favorites are the Attack Pants, Peloton 240 Hoodie, and the Merino 145 Beanie. Anyway, those pieces just seem to come along on every trip.

OP
B
How do the attack pants compare with like a prana zion, I have a bunch of those just from backpacking and climbing, but no hunting specific pants.

OP
B
A lot of their clothing is awesome. Do you have any specific needs - base layers, mid layers, insulation, etc?

I'm pretty new to hunting in general so I have backpacking, hiking, climbing clothes, but nothing hunting oriented

Norm555

WKR
How do the attack pants compare with like a prana zion, I have a bunch of those just from backpacking and climbing, but no hunting specific pants.

The attack pants are a little heavier than the prana zion. I really like the kuiu tiburon for mild-warm weather and they are more comparable to the prana pants.

ericF

WKR
Their Attack Pants are probably their flagship item. So if you want to get one thing that represents Kuiu, I would start with the Attack pants. They are definitely warmer than the Zions, but the hip vents are great and really dump heat.

The attack pant material is slightly heavier and probably a bit more durable - more of an all-around mid-weight. They have a great anatomical fit, flex well. In addition they have zippered hip vents which are priceless for dumping heat while climbing. I also have and love the Prana Stretch Zions which I love for early season hunts but feel the Attack Pants are better for varied conditions and mountain hunting.

Rikkar

FNG
Can't compare to those, but the Attacks were my first Kuiu purchase and since then I've bought the Peloton 118 tshirt, Peloton 240 hoodie, Guide Jacket, Ultra Merino Pro 200 zip T, Attack gloves, and a few accessories for the bino harness that I bought off the classifieds. And just ordered the zip off Peloton 97 pants which rounds the kit out for now. Each piece has been great, and I wouldn't have ordered more if the pants didn't exceed my expectations for fit, comfort, DWR, and durability. Can't go wrong :)

N2TRKYS

WKR

They're a helluva lot better than the Prana Stretch pants. I'll never buy the Pranas again. The other Kuiu clothing I tried fit funny and I didn't like it. The other clothing was a Peloton 1/4 zip and the zipoff baselayers. The baselayers are great on paper, but didn't fit right.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Attack or tiburon pants depending on your climate. Get them in a solid color and you can wear them anywhere.

Chugach rain gear if you have more money to spend.

Super down pants, again more money. Not something for everyone though.

Zip off bottoms. They do fit weird for some.

Chuck44

FNG
Zip-off base layer bottoms are a game changer and probably my favorite single item from KUIU.

I have the merino-145s and they are the shizzle.

I shredded a pair of their pro-pants on a 5 day Ibex hunt...they said they would not repair or replace--I like their gear but durability is not the best. I like their vest and if they still make it their Kenai jacket...their pants and outer shell garments leave a lot to be desired. I finished the hunt in a Swazi gore-Tex jacket that I have had for about 10 years...

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
They fit slightly odd for me, but nothing I don't get used to. I attributed the fit to the zipper...zippers don't stretch or bend well.

I think you’re right. My issue is the waist vs calf sizing, almost like the calves are a size smaller than the waist. However your typical waist band has about 10” of play and no zippers.

Zip off base layers are the only item I would consider from kuiu. Be advised the merino is a looser fit similar to wearing mc hammer pants with shit in your drawers. The peloton fits like a next to skin base layer is expected. I really hope FL or another high(er) end seller steps up to the plate and makes zip off bottoms similar to kuiu. Total game changer and my favorite piece of gear . Peloton over merino in pic.20190911_173600~2.jpg

N2TRKYS

WKR
Zip off base layers are the only item I would consider from kuiu. Be advised the merino is a looser fit similar to wearing mc hammer pants with shit in your drawers. The peloton fits like a next to skin base layer is expected. I really hope FL or another high(er) end seller steps up to the plate and makes zip off bottoms similar to kuiu. Total game changer and my favorite piece of gear . Peloton over merino in pic.View attachment 131779

Based off of this, both versions appear to be crap. The synthetic version is too loose in the waist, too tight in the thighs, and too loose in the calves for me.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll stay away from the merino version, too.

Glad I could help. Lol
In all seriousness, when I called kuiu about the difference in sizes/cut she told me to send it back if I didn't like it. Wtf?

That marked my last purchase from kuiu, I'll enjoy watching the crash.
Based off of this, both versions appear to be crap. The synthetic version is too loose in the waist, too tight in the thighs, and too loose in the calves for me.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll stay away from the merino version, too.