Good laptop for home office

Looks like I'm going to a weekly rotation at work to make sure we only have half the staff present at any one time. And I can't use my wife's school computer for work . . .

So any recommendations for solid laptops for working at home.

Need general programs but nothing fancy

BuckHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I got a cheap chromebook for this purpose, cheap and works to bridge the gap. Not exactly a high capacity machine though.

archp625

WKR
How much are you wanting to spend. I have a Thinkpad X1 carbon. Its a durable work horse. I want to say they are $1200. If you are working form home for work shouldn't your company pay for the laptop?

ODB

WKR
If you aren’t a Mac person, the Thinkpad T470 (or whatever the new version is) is a damn good machine. I pretty much live in the Adobe suite (Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Premiere) and I am quite impressed at how well it handles bouncing between them. I run a dock with two 22” monitors. Great setup for a home office.

16Bore

WKR
I’ve had good luck with “open box” stuff from Best Buy. They basically give them a free tune up and what not. Better than new in my opinion.

I’m no techie though...

Hoot

WKR
I work in automation/software development, I like the lenovo as well, currently have a T490. Like my macbook pro from 2013 as well, it's still going strong...

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Thinkpad x2

try and find some refurbished A+ grade or similar. Add a SSD. amazing what you can get out of those used business laptops.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Have your wife check with the tech department at the school to see if you can get a discount from whoever the district uses for computers. I'm a teacher and have had our tech department share this discount with us in the past. Never looked into it much though so not sure how great of a discount it is.