Good life advice

Beendare

WKR
Well advice is like hershey highways right? <grin...or something like that>

I would say to be happiest in life....be happy and appreciate what you have. Its easier said than done when others have more...but don't get caught up in that and lose sight of whats important; Your health, your Family and Friendships.

Career wise I would say be the best at what you do...and work hard at it. The money will come if you do that....and if it doesn't due to your chosen profession so be it...you have the personal satisfaction.

Re money; Live frugally and build assets...at least until you start reaping the benefits of those assets. its not how much you make....its the assets you have built that will make your life more comfortable in your older years. I know a lot of folks that make a lot of money....but they don't have a pot to piss in. All of their money goes to "stuff" and taxes....don't let that happen.

Build friendships by BEING a good friend...and protect them with all you got. I know guys with almost no assets....but their friendships are the equivalent to having millions of dollars...actually better!

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Tons of great advice on here. Don't get yourself tied down to anyone or anything until you are 100% ready to commit to it. Use this time of your life to figure out who your are and what your goals are so that can cut your own path to get there. Also stay close with as much family and as many good friends as you can.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
Learn to appreciate what you have now and become satisfied. If you are not satisfied with what you have now you will always be chasing the next big thing or the next newest thing. I found myself for the longest time thinking that I had to have the nicest truck, boat, UTV, guns, gear, or whatever else. Debt is a terrible thing.

One thing to always remember is that you only need two loans. You will most likely have to have a loan on a house. Not a huge mansion but not a shack either, but something that you can pay the mortgage on with one weeks pay. You will also possibly need a loan on a vehicle to go to work and hunt with. Not a 2017 Platinum F350 just a nice reliable truck. If you only have those 2 loans then you will have plenty of money left over to buy anything that you need and a lot of things that you want. Going out and getting loans on a new bass boat, Polaris RZR UTV, putting rifles on credit cards, etc. are generally not good ideas. Instant gratification generally results in regret.

I don't disagree with much that was said, but I find this very questionable. Live your life while you can, because you never know when things are going to change.

vanish-Totally understand how you feel on this and I felt the same way when I was in my early 20s...have fun life is short.
But then I realized that to hit the goals that I wanted to achieve I needed to earn more and work harder.

I worked a tremendous amount 80+hrs a week before and when I was dating my wife in my mid 20s to mid 30s.
Poured tons of money into investments. I made sacrifices because I had a goal in mind...family.
I now own a business and take as much time off as I want. Spend tons of time with family. Hunt a ton.
I have zero financial stress. When I do work it is efficient and with purpose.

Everyone's life path is different. I was just trying to give the advice that I would have passed onto myself when I was OP's age.
We live in amazing country with tons of opportunity. Take advantage and have fun!

vanish-Totally understand how you feel on this and I felt the same way when I was in my early 20s...have fun life is short.
But then I realized that to hit the goals that I wanted to achieve I needed to earn more and work harder.

I worked a tremendous amount 80+hrs a week before and when I was dating my wife in my mid 20s to mid 30s.
Poured tons of money into investments. I made sacrifices because I had a goal in mind...family.
I now own a business and take as much time off as I want. Spend tons of time with family. Hunt a ton.
I have zero financial stress. When I do work it is efficient and with purpose.

Everyone's life path is different. I was just trying to give the advice that I would have passed onto myself when I was OP's age.
We live in amazing country with tons of opportunity. Take advantage and have fun!

It's been a long time since I read any Ayn Rand, but these posts sound consistent for a guy with "Who is John Galt" in his signature :)

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Be optimistic. Look for the beauty in your failures and poor fortune. Keep in mind that often the Lord has a better plan for us than we could conjure up ourselves. Sometimes He has to cut us down to make us grow like he wants us to. Be patient and enjoy the inexpensive simple things in life. Spend less than you earn and you'll always feel rich.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just showing up for work without your head stuck up your ass will get you far. You sound like a good young man which is hard to find today. I'll post some more later.

When I saw the title of this thread- this piece by Max Ehrmann immediately came to mind. It does not provide any career direction or financial advice, but is sort of a road map to over all happiness. I actually have a copy of this on the wall of my room in Alaska where I work. I read it every single morning. I think over all it has helped me to remain focused and on track.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

It's been a long time since I read any Ayn Rand, but these posts sound consistent for a guy with "Who is John Galt" in his signature :)

Freebird-Time for you to reread :). The first time I read Atlas Shrugged I was 15 years old. It was suggested to me by a mentor as a counterpoint to Grapes of Wrath that I was force fed in high school. It stuck and is still my favorite reread. Ahh those formative years.
To really have some fun...read some Dostovsky or Kant and then take up some objectivist novel.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a few random words of advice based mainly on mistakes I've made

- Be a problem solver at all times. Just figure out a way to make things happen.
- Pick up the phone and call somebody, especially if there is a problem or disagreement. Don't send 1000 emails or texts back and forth.
- Always be honest and straight forward
- If you don't ask for something, you're probably not going to get it handed to you (raise, promotion, a sale, etc.)
- Follow-up, follow-up, follow-up
- Always ask questions. Don't be afraid to look stupid. If you don't ask, you're not going to learn anything
- Don't be afraid to make mistakes and own your mistakes when you or your team makes them.
- Be proactive if you want to get ahead. Don't just do what your boss asks of you, learn what needs to be done and go beyond what's asked.
- Work for people that care about your success and growth

Hopefully some of this helps.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
- Pick up the phone and call somebody, especially if there is a problem or disagreement. Don't send 1000 emails or texts back and forth.

Aron Snyder is the best about that one and is why he's gone far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerksc

WKR
If you don't love it, you ain't gonna like it. Life is a slight uphill journey. Enjoy the mundane. Second trimester sex is the best.

Freebird-Time for you to reread :). The first time I read Atlas Shrugged I was 15 years old.

To really have some fun...read some Dostovsky or Kant and then take up some objectivist novel.

Man, I wish I had time to lay around reading what ideas old Russians and Germans had about the philosophy and ethics!

16Bore

WKR
Learn to speak in public or to a group. Like, you know, like totally like in front of people and all that. It WILL set you apart from everyone else. People are scared shitless to address a group. Here's the secret:

More than 70% of the audience will already trust you as the "expert" because you had the guts to stand up there. About 20% might know more than you and question what you're saying, but will be too afraid to ask questions or make a statement to the contrary because they don't want to be wrong or have spotlight (remember THEY were to scared to take the lead).

The final 10% will likely question every word you say and gladly call you out. If it's based on opinion, humbely accept it without a defensive posture. If it's based on fact, and you are wrong, then do all you can to clarify the issue, and ensure that it contributes to what you are saying and thank him or her for their expertise (in front of the group of course)

When it's over, seek out this person (or people). Now you have a future resource and a new connection. CONNECTIONS are everything. I'll take being the beta in a room of alphas anyday.

That's how you improve.

Logan T

WKR
A couple lines that I remember hearing growing up are "Find a job where you shower before work, not after." (Grandpa talking about earning money and having time off like weekends) and "If the only time your making money is when you're sweating, you're going to have a hard time getting ahead."

Given all the possibilities out there for work, those two lines aren't always correct, but I find them to be pretty accurate. Money is not everything, not even close, but the simple fact is it is what pays the bills and puts food on the plate. Those aren't saying labor intense jobs are not worthwhile or bad, but just tips I was told to keep in mind as you try to advance. For what it's worth, I failed miserably at both of those suggestions! But the second line is what I'm working towards and am building on.

These days in a lot of lines of work it isn't what you know, it is who you know. Like 16bore said, Connections. As a semi-recent college grad (6 years ago) I know that's not a very warm and fuzzy feeling, but it is what it is. I've seen and experienced both great guys that knew a whole lot about a lot of stuff get snubbed because they didn't know the right people, as well as people who had no clue about anything get extremely "lucky" and land a job that would leave you scratching your head in wonder about how that happened. But hard work, respect and manners can go a LONG ways to both getting to know more people and climbing the ladder.

It is amazing how just being a good person can open up a lot of doors, but it is equally amazing how many people just don't give a crap about being a good person, or having manners or respect. If you keep your head down and work hard, and keep striving to be a good person, have manners and respect you will get noticed, even if it takes a while. And if you trust in Him, everything will work out just fine.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Every time I start typing someone beats me to it. All I have left is..... Talk with a financial planner. Buy life insurance now while young and healthy. Long and short term disability, long term care.

FreeRange

WKR
A lot of great advice. I'll add a couple.

For one, realize that as you move through life through different places and different times in your life people will come and go and those in your life may be there just for a time and when that time comes to pass, don't drag out relationships. Invest everything in those relationships around you, some will be for a lifetime but others simply won't be. And when you re-connect with someone you've grown out of touch with, enjoy that time and the memories you shared. Too many people hang onto every relationship and spread themselves thin and are never fully present with the people they're living with. Social media doesn't help this and people get sucked into this vacuum. In short, once college is over don't spend the next 10 years pretending like it never ended. Turn off facebook and go spend time with people you care about.

And secondly, marry the right person. I see way, way too much of people wanting to get married so they make it work with whomever is most convenient and willing to marry them. That doesn't mean wait around for the perfect person, you'll die alone if you do that. Make it work but don't jump into it to fulfill some need in yourself. Marriage should be for life, don't go into it thinking otherwise.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Don't get married till you are at least 30.......
2. Always laugh
3. Start a slush fund.....
4. Always laugh
5. Be true and honest with yourself.....
6. Always laugh
7. Spend time with your dad. One day you won't have him
8. Always laugh
9. Don't be in a hurry and enjoy and cherish the journey
10. And of course, laugh.

Randy...........60 years of "experience"