Good life advice

16Bore

WKR
Watch Glenn Gary, Glenn Ross. ABC. Always be closing.

2 questions to seal an interview:

Is there anything that we've talked about that you would like me to clarify?

Based on what we've discussed, can you tell me why I might not be offered this position?

I take PayPal.....

Ranger619

WKR
Stay out of working in retail if you can. Learn how to dance even if you don't like it, it will pay off with the ladies:D (I wish someone would have told me that when I was young)

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stay out of working in retail if you can. Learn how to dance even if you don't like it, it will pay off with the ladies:D (I wish someone would have told me that when I was young)
Especially if the ladies are your daughters. Think daddy daughter dance at school, their wedding.

sdr

FNG
Find a need and fill it better than anybody else. If you can figure out a way to make other peoples lives better and you get real good at it, there is no limit to how successful you can be.

Read to start:
The Richest Man in Babylon
The Wealthy Barber
Rich Dad Poor Dad
How to Win Friends and Influence People

Set some goals and figure out how you can achieve them. In college I made a list of what I wanted. Cape buffalo and Marco Polo sheep were on the list. Needing the spare disposable income to hunt the world has influenced a lot of my education and business decisions. Buffalo done Marco Polo this November. I will hunt on 4 continents this year.

WORK YOUR ASS OFF AND ENJOY EVERY MINUTE

I skimmed this thread and there is a TON of great advice here.. take anything away from this thread and you'll be set. But here are a few of my favorites..

Stay out of debt, buy used trucks (and really anything that makes sense to buy used) and start your retirement savings now, even if you can only give a little....and put the Lord first.

Yep. Wish I would've taught myself that earlier.. Working hard to get back to that place! You are better off if you never get into debt in the first place.

It's funny.......many years ago just starting out, money of course was tight like it is for so many. Looking at my budget and living in San Diego, tithing made absolutely no sense at all.......on the books. But I started giving his 10% first, and not even sure how.......but I suddenly had more money than I needed. Still hard to comprehend from a financial sense, but it absolutely works. I even had more money to invest, and the more I gave......the more I had. Still works today.

Agreed there. Dave Ramsey says if you can't live on 90% of your income, you can't live on 100% either.

Proverbs 3:9-10: Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops, then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.

You make your self much more valuble when your employer knows that you will be there in the morning, or you will give him a call as soon as possible if an emergency arises.

This is only the second time I have ever heard anyone say this besides my dad when I was 15 year old. I can distinctly remember him telling me this and I took it to heart. I worked with tons of unreliable people when I was working summer jobs through school, and I can tell you that it's an employers biggest headache and nothing pisses them off more! Now that I have employees myself, I completely understand and completely agree!

Don't be afraid to start at the bottom of your chosen field and work up. The best leaders and supervisors are almost always people who have paid their dues. Trust me, if you do your entry level job to a high level of competance, someone will take notice.

Again, as a business owner, I couldn't agree more!

hodgeman

WKR
When presented with an opportunity to take risk- take it. You'll be judged by your best ideals, not your worst ideals. Expect to make some mistakes, that's where some of your best ideals will come from.

Lots of good stuff on here. You're wise beyond your years asking such a question.
I get to be around a lot of college and graduate students (20-25 year-olds), and it's usually a rewarding experience. One student is teaching me a lot about interpersonal interactions these past 3 months. Given that you're asking such a question, I doubt you're in need of this advice, but these are things I wish this person would figure out:

1) Self awareness during your interactions is important. How do people respond to you? If it doesn't appear to be a positive response, how can you improve their response to you?

2) Confidence in oneself is good, but you're probably too inexperienced right now to be the expert. If you do happen to have that much experience, a little humility goes a long way among those around you.

3) Spend less time on transmit, and more time on receive (i.e., shut up and listen!).

4) Hard work and humility earns respect. It's not doled out (beyond the basic respect we have for one another as fellow men and women).

5) Never covet other people's stuff (material things or status) or think it's unfair you don't have it. Odds are they earned it. Use it as incentive to earn your own.

Beyond that, staying out of debt is huge. Buy what you can afford, buy used when you can, and be sure you are where you want to be before you mortgage a house and get that far into debt. Listen to Dave Ramsey for a week.

Takem

WKR
When I was in your position finishing up college I didn't know what I wanted to do but I was in a hurry to get out there and make money, buy a house and start living what I thought was the American dream. I'm 46 now and have had my own business for 20 years, I have a great wife and two kids. We live very comfortably and I'm just about at a point were I can start taking as much time off as I want.

My advice is that if at all possible take a couple of years and hunt and fish as much as you possibly can in as many places as you possibly can and really figure out what you want to do. When deciding on what you want to don't make it all about the money. You don't need to be in a hurry to start a carreer. You can try different jobs in different places before you settle in. Looking back if I would have taken a couple of years to do something like this I'd still be in pretty close to the same position I'm in now and I would of had more fun in the process.

Good luck and enjoy the time you have right now.

I too am a young buck but some good advice shared with me...

"You can have anything, but not everything."

"Dreaming is free"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilboars

WKR
Bust ass for the next 10-20yrs while your young and able and you'll be able to cruise after that and really enjoy life.

Kilboars

WKR
Work for someone else to make ends meet but start something of your own on the side and see if you can make a little or a lot of money at.
Always have a little business of your own if for nothing else than for tax write off's.

Jauwater

WKR
Watch Glenn Gary, Glenn Ross. ABC. Always be closing.

2 questions to seal an interview:

Is there anything that we've talked about that you would like me to clarify?

Based on what we've discussed, can you tell me why I might not be offered this position?

I take PayPal.....
A lot of good info on here. I really like what this guy is saying in this post, and his last. It might kind of sound like just sales tactics or politics. The skills developed by practicing these types of social skills no schooling, or mentor can teach. It can be a crash course, but you'll learn quick.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
My advice: don't take life advice from people on the internet that you don't know.

Well in some cases ^^ THAT might be true......but IMO, this is quickly becoming a top thread for the younger guys.

The problem I see with many younger guys....is they love to talk about success...but are unwilling to grind it out.

Kilboars

WKR
Steve Ranella was talking other day about worst jobs he in the other guys have had. Steve mentioned whatever he was doing he would do it as good as possible so that they would quickly move him up to another job. Because if you can't do a simple job right why would they give you a better job.
Seems like a lot of kids don't understand the principal today.