Good life advice

Tod osier

WKR
Well in some cases ^^ THAT might be true......but IMO, this is quickly becoming a top thread for the younger guys.

The problem I see with many younger guys....is they love to talk about success...but are unwilling to grind it out.

Absolutely, that was kinda a joke, but also really important to remember. Knowing WHO to take advice from is crucially important and the internet strips away some of the ability to discern who you are getting the information from. Anyone can look pretty good on the internet if they manage their profile well.

There are also a lot of approaches to be successful and success is defined in a number of ways across a range. Money doesn't matter much if you can't get time off and time off doesn't matter too much if you can't afford to hunt. There are a lot of sweet spots that work, but not every sweet spot is for every person - so knowing yourself and the person that is giving you information is important.

Specifics aside, a generalization like you saying that you need to grind it out is absolutely fundamental. Hard work is a common theme. From my personal experience, I feel like I have a great setup that maximizes the things I value, but I know I busted my ass for years to get where I'm at (I also had some luck too).

My dad used to tell me (and still does sometimes): engage brain before opening mouth.

It used to annoy me when he'd tell me that when I was young because it usually meant that I'd just said something pretty stupid, but now it's actually some of my favorite advice. Like the saying goes, common sense isn't too common. If you really try to turn your brain on before opening your mouth, you'll be leagues ahead of other people. And this doesn't just apply to work, but to social situations with friends, family and loved ones, situations involving money, and the list goes on and on. A lot of the time it's not what you know that can set you apart, but simply not advertising how much you really don't know by trying to act like you know it all.

Also, the country song 'humble and kind' by Tim McGraw has a lot of good advice that has been echoed by many in this thread already.

Last edited:
"successful" as quoted from the OP means a lot of different things to different people...find what it means to you. Learn something from everyone, good or bad, and apply it to your life. If you have kids, spend as much time with them as possible, I did spend as much time as was and is "possible" and still regret time not spent with them.

And never put on your snowshoes if there is a possible emergency poop situation in the near future.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
1. Don't get married till you are at least 30.......
2. Always laugh
3. Start a slush fund.....
4. Always laugh
5. Be true and honest with yourself.....
6. Always laugh
7. Spend time with your dad. One day you won't have him
8. Always laugh
9. Don't be in a hurry and enjoy and cherish the journey
10. And of course, laugh.

Randy...........60 years of "experience"

And for laughing fodder, watch for any post from Randy concerning Ryan Avery. Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
I am still young and just graduated from college myself. I can't say I have a ton of life advice but I will add some little things that I do know.

1. Always pee before you put your waders on.
2. If you give when you can give, you will receive when you need.
3. Life is way to short to let little things piss you off.
4. Know what your worth and what you deserve, don't sell yourself short.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I totally forgot to say this but it falls in the "put the Lord first" category, but ain't obvious to a lot of guys, including the younger me. It's super important to keep dating your wife after marriage AND spend time with those kids- they're leaving fast.

Love this thread

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's super important to keep dating your wife after marriage AND spend time with those kids- they're leaving fast.

I married late (31) and had kids late (started at 34), but I was pretty busy and gone all the time before that. My oldest graduates high school next month......hard to imagine. But I'm very close to my kids, and we've spent an absolute insane amount of time together since they were born. I wouldn't trade all that time for a million dollars. But they definitely miss me come September......LOL.

woods89

WKR
I totally forgot to say this but it falls in the "put the Lord first" category, but ain't obvious to a lot of guys, including the younger me. It's super important to keep dating your wife after marriage AND spend time with those kids- they're leaving fast.

Love this thread

My wife and I started having monthly date nights about a year ago. It is absolutely worth the time and money. Especially if you have kids. We are lucky in that my parents live in our community so we can drop our children off and know they're in good hands.

Most of the time we go someplace nice for dinner. One time we spent an afternoon hiking together. We both really look forward to it.

They say the best thing you can do for your kids is love their mom..........

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great thread. Makes me think a lot about what I'll eventually pass along to my young son (he's only 4 now). I grew up in a very loving and supportive household and was taught manners and respect early, but as I got older and got out of high school and headed to college, my parents weren't big on any advice. Looking back I could have used a bunch of this back then.

Two big ones that stand out for me:

- stay out of debt!!! Unless it's business related and a very calculated move. Debt for 'things', especially at a young age is a huge waste.
- chase what you love. If you don't like something, change it. If you don't like your job, quit.

Life really is short. Live your dream and wear your passion.

wesfromky

WKR
TL;DR - try to live as much of your life as you can like you are semi-retired:

"At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class."
is a climber quote I like.

Depending on what standard of living you are comfortable with, you can trade having "things" for having time. I spent a solid decade mostly living in a tent or on the floor of my moms house. But, I probably climbed 3/4 days a week, while averaging 3 or so working. A few multiple month road trips, lots of week long trips, etc. Basically, I was semi-retired from 27-43ish.

Then, I drove crappy cars, wore 2nd hand clothes, and had very little in the way of nice things - my climbing and photo gear was probably worth 5x more than everything else I owned combined.

Now, I make solid money, drive a nice truck, and am able to buy most of gear I want without too much thought. But, I also have zero paid time off and bills to pay. Once I finish gearing up and get a few things taken care of, I hope to go back to those semi-retired days, only enjoying bowhunting, flyfishing, and shooting instead of climbing.

wesfromky

WKR
Just a couple more thoughts...

You do need a solid set of marketable skills - I busted my butt in my early 20's teaching myself computer networking. That allowed me the ability to have a small consulting biz which let me have enough money to live the life I wanted, but the freedom to work when I chose.

You do not have to have a traditional life - a wife, and esp. kids, are totally optional. I know kids have their own set of rewards, but they also come with costs to your lifestyle, bank account, and freedom as well.

And, this guy has a pretty unique outlook of money and spending. Some good blog posts, talks and an active forum. It may not be for everyone, but it is a well thought out perspective.

Mr. Money Mustache — Early Retirement through Badassity

TL;DR - try to live as much of your life as you can like you are semi-retired:

"At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class."
is a climber quote I like.

Depending on what standard of living you are comfortable with, you can trade having "things" for having time. I spent a solid decade mostly living in a tent or on the floor of my moms house. But, I probably climbed 3/4 days a week, while averaging 3 or so working. A few multiple month road trips, lots of week long trips, etc. Basically, I was semi-retired from 27-43ish.

Then, I drove crappy cars, wore 2nd hand clothes, and had very little in the way of nice things - my climbing and photo gear was probably worth 5x more than everything else I owned combined.

Now, I make solid money, drive a nice truck, and am able to buy most of gear I want without too much thought. But, I also have zero paid time off and bills to pay. Once I finish gearing up and get a few things taken care of, I hope to go back to those semi-retired days, only enjoying bowhunting, flyfishing, and shooting instead of climbing.

PNWGATOR

WKR
God is good. Believe. Trust. Live.

Own your mistakes. Grow from them.

Be a mentor.

Mental, physical, financial and Spiritual peace are very important. Possibly cornerstones of your life. Focus on them and work hard daily in achieving Peace in your life.

Dave Ramsey offers a very simple guide to personal finance. Don't borrow money. Period. Wish someone gave me this advice when I was a young man. Highly recommend listening to his show daily and following his plan. Amazingly simple and amazingly rewarding.

Serve your country.

Serve your fellow man.

Being a dad/stepdad is beyond rewarding and challenging. Wouldn't trade anything else in my life for this opportunity. Be present for your kids.

Often when we/others are toghest to love we/they need love the most.

Like Randy said, laugh! Especially at yourself!!!

Great thread.

Take care,
Chris

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
Something I try and teach all of my little league teams is...

Celebrate other people's success even if it comes at your expense. Use it as motivation, not as discouragement.

You will be a lot happier in life if other people's success doesn't dictate your self worth.

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
When you find the one never say anything you'll regret. For some reason they never forget. Work hard but don't forget to work to live, not live to work. Learn from my mistakes and you'll do well.

Love God.

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Ask lots of questions and listen to the answers.

Always try to see things from the other side of the fence.

Admit when you're wrong.

Don't boast when you're right.

Don't miss the forest for the trees.

Make time to have fun.

Success doesn't always come in the form you thought it would.

Be the first to laugh at yourself.

Love your kids and never miss an opportunity to spend time with them.

Can't do anything without God.

Pick the right spouse.

Work is not everything.

Time is precious.

Experience more so.

I'm 36. 2 businesses in 2 states. Just flipped one. I have worked no more than 40 days a year while hunting AND seeing my kids/wife every day. The dream is possible.

Debt is good when it's the right kind.

If you can make 75% of the money letting others do 95% of the work, why wouldn't you?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Celebrate other people's success even if it comes at your expense.

And don't despise other people's success and/or accomplishments. And greatness is just that.....doesn't matter where it comes from or who benefits from it.

I used to take grief from my own teammates when I'd high five an opponent after a great dunk or great shooting performance. But those are things I can always appreciate, regardless of who's team they are on or who won or lost........and I hate losing. It's just like elk hunting.....there are times after an intense cat and mouse session with a nice bull where I just tip my hat to him on a game well played........until next time.

Which brings me to the fact that there really are winners and losers in competition and life. Something that these days isn't taught to our young people. Learn how to be a gracious loser, and see line one again. Then learn from it, adapt or make changes if you need to, and move on.

Having recently gotten married and having worked on the road for the last 10 years...I can tell you that the money is good. But it isnt worth it.

Having a family that loves you and being home every day.

When you get accustomed to the on the road lifestyle its really hard to give up the money but day in and day out I realize what I am missing and what is is Truly costing me.

Im currently looking to have normal. If that means making 1/2 the money then so be it.

You can have all of the toys in the world but if you dont have someone to share it with and time to play with them then what is the point?

elkyinzer

WKR
I'm still a young fellow too but I observe others a lot.

Don't be a narcissist. Whether at work, at home, whatever, be a good teammate.

Listen more than you talk.

Live within your means. Debt certainly isn't the boogeyman. Know how much you can handle and good/bad debt (investment returns > interest rates)

Live at the right pace. Work hard, play hard, take time to relax.

Be nice to everybody and don't be "above" anyone or anything.

Learn/practice to be a good public speaker.