Good life advice

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
I am nobody to give advice but here it is.

Lots of good stuff on here I agree with and would agree. Always be kind and do a good deed to others daily. You never know what battles some people are going through and a simple smile means a lot.

Treat your wife good, studies show your kids will marry someone like there father or mother. I treat mine like a queen hoping my girls marry a man like myself.

Work hard and love life.

Stop and ask yourself if you are happy and what you wanna do from time to time. Do things that you want, YOLO.

Listen when you are wrong and don't be arrogant when you are right. This world has a way of knocking you down hard when you need it.

Never forget those who helped you when you needed it. If you are successful, remember how you got there and help others do the same.

Teach your kids to always do the right thing regardless of peer pressure.

I haven't read this yet, but make your kids work hard; really hard. The biggest reason I am who I am today is because of what my parents did (or didn't do) for us. Find a farmer that needs help and let your kids work the hay fields, build fence, fix equipment with next to nothing, learn to raise animals, understand death is part of life, how to survive, build a fire, hunt, fish, and earn a paycheck, I mean really earn it. They will not want the new Jordans when they just put in the most brutal 60 hour week in blistering triple digit heat handling hay for a 100 dollar bill. The things that you learn on your own doing this are not taught anywhere but with your bare hands and the sweat of your brow, and they will get you far in life.

Love the lord and serve.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I've been trying to hold off responses because I would rather listen to what's being said than interject with useless information about my life/plans/etc. But I will say this, I appreciate everything that was posted. It did do a lot to ease my nerves in the sense that y'all are proof that through sheer will power and using your head at the right times that anything is possible.

Find a farmer.
I chuckled when I read this. I am a farmer... Or more so, a student of Agriculture who works on a farm when not in class lol. To say I am going to miss farming would be an understatement.

tuffcity

WKR
My kids were sitting around with a few of their friends a while back and the topic of "things your parents taught you" came up. Among the usual sage advice my son threw out "don't do stupid things, with stupid people, in stupid places" (he mentioned that this advice has stopped him in his tracks a couple of times!) and then he looked at his sister and they said in unison "2 to the body, 1 to the head".

A proud parenting moment... I think?? :)

RC

landont20

FNG
I've seen a lot written about "happiness." Hate to say it, but this life isn't going to hand out much of it. You'll always be chasing it. Happiness deals with emotions. It's comes from our word "happenstance", it's based upon what is HAPPening to you at the time, and your emotions are constantly going up and down.

My advice, shoot for joy. That's somethin' better. And how do you find joy? Love and trust the Lord, and love others. Last, like what you've got, and want what you have...That'll do it.

Stay in shape as long as it is in your power to do something about it. For most of us, it's possible to be in shape almost your entire life. By the time you're 40+ you'll look around and see a lot of people suffering in various areas because they let this one objective slip.

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey I really appreciate you starting this thread. Hands down one of the best threads on Rokslide. I've gained a ton from this and look forward to implementing a lot of the great advice given here.
God loves you and wants the best for you and as you put your trust in him he will bless you beyond measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
1. First and foremost is your relationship with God. You get that right, the rest takes care of itself.
2. After that is your relationship with your wife. Find a woman that respects you for who you are. Be worthy of that respect and your role as a husband. I never understood how two people could become one until about 5 years into my marriage. Find a woman that you can be "one" with, otherwise you are two people pulling in separate directions. Marriage and love are commitments, not feelings.
3. Raise your sons to be better husbands and fathers than you are, and your daughters to be better mothers and wives. It gives me a goal when I raise them and something to envision as you mold them.
4. Work harder than those around you. You might be surprised how much hard work and effort trumps natural skill and ability in the real world. I'm living proof of that!
5. Put others above yourself.

Good thread!

1. The woman you choose to spend your life with is the single most important decision you will ever make. Pick the wrong one and it can wipe out 40 years of work. Pick the right one and she can be your anchor in any storm. I knew a guy, 40 years on the job, 401k and pension, last day of work he went home to find a pile of clothes on his porch and the lock changed. She got the house, half of his pension, 401k and spousal support, it destroyed him. Choose very carefully and treat them right, it takes constant effort and kindness.

2. Learn to keep fit and healthy, it sucks to try and get it back after you squandered it. I'm not talking about fad fitness or constantly chasing goals like a bench PR or deadlift, keep fit for health. Practice your fitness, eat right, don't smoke, don't do drugs and keep the drinking to a minimum or not at all. Remember you just piss it out after you drink it. I have seen people give up their health to make money and I have seen people give up everything to get their health back.

3. Get a trade skill under your belt ASAP, then later on if you want to get a four year degree then you can do that. But these days the demand for trade skill people is nut's.

4. ALWAYS keep your word and don't make a promise you cannot keep.

5. Own your mistakes.

6. Always be early.

7. Do any job you do the best you can and learn the job of the guy next to you, make yourself as useful as possible.

8. Learn to ask more questions than things you say.

9. The secret to success is make more money than you spend.

10. Don't borrow money, especially from family or friends.

11. Don't loan money, ESPECIALLY to family or friends.

12. Don't work for or hire family or friends.

13. Never, ever let your emotions make decisions for you, especially anger.

14. Your boss is the boss, if you don't like him or her telling you what to do, find a new job.

15. Don't burn your bridges, even if someone screws you over. You never know when an opportunity will come knocking.

16Bore

WKR
1. The woman you choose to spend your life with is the single most important decision you will ever make. Pick the wrong one and it can wipe out 40 years of work. Pick the right one and she can be your anchor in any storm. I knew a guy, 40 years on the job, 401k and pension, last day of work he went home to find a pile of clothes on his porch and the lock changed. She got the house, half of his pension, 401k and spousal support, it destroyed him. Choose very carefully and treat them right, it takes constant effort and kindness.

2. Learn to keep fit and healthy, it sucks to try and get it back after you squandered it. I'm not talking about fad fitness or constantly chasing goals like a bench PR or deadlift, keep fit for health. Practice your fitness, eat right, don't smoke, don't do drugs and keep the drinking to a minimum or not at all. Remember you just piss it out after you drink it. I have seen people give up their health to make money and I have seen people give up everything to get their health back.

3. Get a trade skill under your belt ASAP, then later on if you want to get a four year degree then you can do that. But these days the demand for trade skill people is nut's.

4. ALWAYS keep your word and don't make a promise you cannot keep.

5. Own your mistakes.

6. Always be early.

7. Do any job you do the best you can and learn the job of the guy next to you, make yourself as useful as possible.

8. Learn to ask more questions than things you say.

9. The secret to success is make more money than you spend.

10. Don't borrow money, especially from family or friends.

11. Don't loan money, ESPECIALLY to family or friends.

12. Don't work for or hire family or friends.

13. Never, ever let your emotions make decisions for you, especially anger.

14. Your boss is the boss, if you don't like him or her telling you what to do, find a new job.

15. Don't burn your bridges, even if someone screws you over. You never know when an opportunity will come knocking.

16. Read the list again.

Well said and in that order. If a gal makes you nervous to speak when you meet her, it's probably off to a good start.

Save 20% of your income for retirement.

Know a little bit about a lot. Not a lot about a little bit.

Dont but more guns because you think you need them. Some of the best hunters I know only own 5 and they are better hunters than 98% of the other hunters out there...I admittedly have too many and I refuse to sell any. Its my downfall.

If you dont need a boat and plan to use it at least once a month, find a friend that has one and dont buy one.

Set up an account for your kids college as soon as they are born. 1 year olds dont need Christmas presents. They need future investment money.. With the money that my parents and my wife's parents contribute to her college fund over birthdays and Christmas she will be good to go later on in life.