Good news / Bad news

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Spoke to our new outfitter about 2022 moose season in northern Ontario, they have guaranteed us the same plan that we had with previous outfitter(good news), but the border is still closed (bad news) and we have to start getting our paperwork in order to get our guns across the border assuming it opens by next year.
I am going to have gun questions and bullet type and weights questions as well

WMR

FNG
Crossing the border (once it is opened) with firearms for hunting is a very simple matter. Get the form, spend 10 minutes filling it out and don't sign it until you are presenting it to the Canadian agent at the border. This will be the easiest part of your planning. If you or any of your party have a criminal record, even a DUI, then additional advanced planning may be in order.

Exactly as stated, border crossing is simple with the forms filled out and leave the firearms in the truck unless instructed to bring them in for inspection. We kept the bolt removed from the firearm for inspection. Also, we didn't have any issues with records but have heard that guys with DUI's or other history have had issues crossing the border.

NoWiser

WKR
Agreed. Getting guns across for hunting is extremely simple. Getting across if anyone has a DUI is not.

One other thing worth mentioning is stopping on the US side customs office (before) traveling into Canada. Not required, but can help ensure an easy re entry. We printed and had US officer sign the CBP form 4457 prior to crossing border. It proves that your items are originally from the US and they can’t question whether or not you bought them in Canada for legality and import tax. Can be used on my high dollar item and guns and ammo. If you have the original receipt for the firearm or the ATF form proving US ownership this would not be necessary

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Not a lot to add regarding crossing the medicine line, just remember to leave your pistols home. Consider bringing your personal limits of alcohol and tobacco if so inclined or as gifts for camp staff/guides if you're getting that type of service, it will be much cheaper on your side of the line.

As far as load recommendations knowing nothing else other than you intend to rifle hunt I am a fan of Partitions for moose. Don't hesitate to shoot again, some moose take a lot of convincing that they're dead before they lay down.

USMC2602

WKR
Agree with all the above, have your paperwork filled out and ready ahead of time, leave your handguns at home, leave your rifles in the car unless they tell you otherwise, and most importantly bring a pleasant, friendly attitude.

The last time my buddy and I crossed over for fall bear (2018), we were done and back to the car in about 10 minutes. However, a truck with 3 other hunters pulled up about the same time we did, and immediately started with attitude with the Canadian border patrol officers. Their pickup was packed to the gills, officers began asking questions and asked them to partially unload a few things out of the back. I didn't hear it all, but heard one guy make a remark about "the gestapo", at which time my buddy and I quickly walked away and into the office. When we came back out, EVERYTHING had been unloaded from the truck and they were getting lots of attention, removing inside door panels and truck seats. Again, have no idea what all occurred, but I can assure you they were going to be there for quite a while. We got back in our car, smiled, and drove on our way.