Good news for Ebiker users on public land.

Right, for the animal. Hike 15 miles then ride a horse in 15 miles and tell me which one is easier. There's a big reason why people go through the trouble of using an animal that can kill you if the wind blows the wrong way and its not because it makes access harder.
Try taking care of horses for a year. I have several friends that use horses. There is a reason most people don’t. The work that goes into being a horseman is a limiting factor. For the record, I absolutely hate hiking in when it’s even a little bit muddy and horses have gone ahead of me. But I’d never even imagine trying to stop them from doing it. Horses are a traditional way of life and it takes a huge amount of dedication to train, own and use them. E-bikes are just a lightweight motorcycle. Hell, I ride motorcycles. Maybe I should start to whine because I’m not allowed to use my expensive toy to haul my lazy ass in and out.

Last edited:

RMM

WKR
Try taking care of horses for a year. I have several friends that use horses. There is a reason most people don’t. The work that goes into being a horseman is a limiting factor.
Correct I'm not going to argue that point. Your post I responded to read as "Its just as physically taxing to walk as it is to ride a horse". What do you think about guys who don't take care of horses all year and hire an outfitter to pack them in? Seems like they're getting all the benefit with none of the work just because they shell over a few grand.

CoStick

WKR
Correct I'm not going to argue that point. Your post I responded to read as "Its just as physically taxing to walk as it is to ride a horse". What do you think about guys who don't take care of horses all year and hire an outfitter to pack them in? Seems like they're getting all the benefit with none of the work just because they shell over a few grand.
If they haven’t been riding horses regularly ask them how they feel after a day on a horse….

RMM

WKR
If they haven’t been riding horses regularly ask them how they feel after a day on a horse….
Probably not any worse than hiking in with a weeks worth of camp on your back for 15 miles..

Chase0109

FNG
You are correct. Riding my horse in 15 miles is much less physically demanding than me hiking 15 miles in. Not to answer for Wyobohunter, but I assume he’s talking about the workload it takes to be at the point of riding your horse in 15 miles. Not to mention the extra work it takes at camp. Having two horses that I use for a Hunting. I 100% agree that it is just as much if not more work using horses then it is using my own two legs. On some hunts I take my horses. On others it’s just easier to do the physical work myself and have less hassle.

With livestock you add the complications of where you can get a truck/trailer. You limit the amount of access points for getting into country. You also limit where you can camp and need access to water. Not to mention all the work it takes to keep the animals in shape and mentally ready. Then you’re hauling a trailer cross country as well. It’s a year-round commitment to get the benefit for a couple hunting trips per year.

Having your horses with you when it comes to packing a bull out is a godsend. But the amount of Time/money/energy that goes into having horses available I believe far exceeds using your own two legs. I think people who use horses for hunting do it because they like horses and enjoy working with them year-round.

Chase

I’m not thrilled with guides and outfitters. I’m not necessarily against them either. But all of that is for separate reasons that are outside of this discussion.

People on horses (guided or not) make up a pretty small group compared to the machine riding warriors that blast around the USFS roads. If allowed they’d be blasting those machines in the roadless areas as well. If a person will happily drop $30k on a SxS that is of no real advantage I guarantee they’d drop $8k on an e-bike. The mountains would not be the same.

RMM

WKR
I’m not thrilled with guides and outfitters. I’m not necessarily against them either. But all of that is for separate reasons that are outside of this discussion.

People on horses (guided or not) make up a pretty small group compared to the machine riding warriors that blast around the USFS roads. If allowed they’d be blasting those machines in the roadless areas as well. If a person will happily drop $30k on a SxS that is of no real advantage I guarantee they’d drop $8k on an e-bike. The mountains would not be the same.
I see your point. How would you feel about a power capacity limit on e-bikes? More so of a pedal assist than an electric motorcycle.

You are correct. Riding my horse in 15 miles is much less physically demanding than me hiking 15 miles in. Not to answer for Wyobohunter, but I assume he’s talking about the workload it takes to be at the point of riding your horse in 15 miles. Not to mention the extra work it takes at camp. Having two horses that I use for a Hunting. I 100% agree that it is just as much if not more work using horses then it is using my own two legs. On some hunts I take my horses. On others it’s just easier to do the physical work myself and have less hassle.

With livestock you add the complications of where you can get a truck/trailer. You limit the amount of access points for getting into country. You also limit where you can camp and need access to water. Not to mention all the work it takes to keep the animals in shape and mentally ready. Then you’re hauling a trailer cross country as well. It’s a year-round commitment to get the benefit for a couple hunting trips per year.

Having your horses with you when it comes to packing a bull out is a godsend. But the amount of Time/money/energy that goes into having horses available I believe far exceeds using your own two legs. I think people who use horses for hunting do it because they like horses and enjoy working with them year-round.

Chase
Exactly what I was trying to say. I’m not a horseman so you said it better.

CoStick

WKR
I see your point. How would you feel about a power capacity limit on e-bikes? More so of a pedal assist than an electric motorcycle.
The current request this thread is based on opens to all motors not just ebikes.

I’m against it.

Want to hunt wilderness? = hike, horse, Llamas/goats, dogsled.

Want to hunt non-motorized areas? = all of the above + fully human powered machines.

Want to hunt motorized trails? = all of the above + motorized vehicles >51”.

Want to hunt roads? = all of the above plus vehicles of any size and motors of any kind.

Everyone already has options.

CoStick

WKR
My point is I'm speaking of ebikes, not SxS
Was just pointing out the changes that would be good for ebikers is the trails will go from non-motorized to motorized, so it is not just good news for ebikers.

bsnedeker

WKR
Was just pointing out the changes that would be good for ebikers is the trails will go from non-motorized to motorized, so it is not just good news for ebikers.
Can you show me where in the directive you are seeing this? As far as I can see the entire directive is specifically about ebikes.... nothing else.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

CoStick

WKR
Can you show me where in the directive you are seeing this? As far as I can see the entire directive is specifically about ebikes.... nothing else.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
I posted a link earlier with more detailed information