Good news for Ebiker users on public land.

CoStick

WKR
“The ruling doesn’t create an exclusion for eMTBs though and the directives would reclassify non-motorized trails to motorized to allow e-bike access on non-motorized trails.”

How much do you want to bet that very little changes? I think ebikes are a neat idea for use in town to cut carbon emissions. They could also be a great tool for getting to trailheads. And that’s how it will likely stay. 👍

Last edited:

def90

WKR
E-bike access to non motorized trails has nothing to do with hunting nor making hunting easier. What it does do is open up a new form of recreation where it didn't exist before, a form of recreation that is sure to draw people in the 10's of thousands.

Mountain biking in general in the spring has been cited as a source of lower calf recruitment rates around the Vail Valley in Colorado. Wait until you get guys ripping down trails, anywhere there is a trail, from the time the snow clears to the time that the snow falls. Hikers can only go so far in a day, a guy on an e-bike can probably cover 5-6 times more ground in a matter of hours. If you think that is going to increase the experience of your outdoor recreation let alone hunting season in a positive way you're kidding yourself. From the hunting point of view, sure you can get to places you couldn't before but keep in mind you will be competing all day long with joy riders. As a dirt biker and a mountain biker, I know guys everywhere are chomping at the bit to ride all of those places they have only dreamed of.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
“The ruling doesn’t create an exclusion for eMTBs though and the directives would reclassify non-motorized trails to motorized to allow e-bike access on non-motorized trails.”

How much do you want to bet that very little changes? I think ebikes are a neat idea for use in town to cut carbon emissions. They could also be a great tool for getting to trailheads. And that’s how it will likely stay. 👍
Makes sense. Every state is different though. In Montana the "trail heads" are often 4 miles or more from the gated road. So you have to walk a road down below the mountain you could drive a truck on for 4 miles before you get to the trail head.

nphunter

WKR

Was reading an article that summarizes the USFS stance on E-Bikes, it appears that they chose to classify all e-bikes the same regardless of motor size and they are only allowed on open to motor vehicle roads. This applies to all travel management areas regulated by the USFS, seasonal closures, watersheds, hiking trails, etc.

1653483475470.png

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
sounds like a great plan. Close a loophole about considering them "non motorized", and evaluate where you might allow them as what they are.

MrBHSir

FNG
E-Bikes go for a couple grand, that hardly makes it accessible for all. Its not like a huge influx of people are going to purchase e-bikes all of a sudden just for hunting. Some will, sure. But its not going to have the impact you think. Besides, if it bothers you that much, hunt away from trails and you wont even see an e-bike.

DLZ

FNG
I guess probably my biggest concern about ebikes is more on a relationship level. I'm concerned about you guys love lives. It's OK to talk to someone if you need to . Kinda like the moped of the 2020's(used to be a joke about that). Honestly I could care less. Happy "charging"lol

DLZ

FNG
I pulled up the topic of Ebikes because I was interested in getting one. I have always walked in to hunt but with plantor fasciitis in my foot now, it's harder to do it. After reading all the comments about the impact E Bikes have or can have on the elk and deer, I think I have changed my mind. Better to suck it up and walk, ie., do the right thing. I want my son and grand kids to be able to enjoy wildlife as I have.