Good or bad system??

Clesh92

FNG
I bit the bullet this year and did some upgrading to my hunting clothes. Pretty active whitetail WV public land hunter mainly between 20’s-60’s/70’s temp range. Wind and rain/slow not a huge concern. Just bit the bullet on a Kuiu peloton 118 LS for base, SF 260, and Kenai jacket-already had nomad barrier jacket to pull the top together if needed. For the bottoms I have peloton 97 zip offs, FL kiln 250 zip offs, Sitka traverse pants and I got the kenai pants with my Kuiu purchase yesterday. Done a lot of reading and research but this is my first year trying to build a system that fits the way I hunt. I know it boils down to personal preference and everybody being different. Mainly looking for insight on the pieces that I’ve listed together.

bsnedeker

WKR
If you get too hot when it's hot, or too cold when it's cold then it's a bad system. If you are comfortable, it is good.

Drenalin

WKR
If that Nomad jacket is truly windproof you'll be good to go. The Kenai stuff is very good for whitetail hunting, at least until it gets really cold.

OP
C

Clesh92

FNG
I take it this means I won’t really know for myself until I try it out?

I bit the bullet this year and did some upgrading to my hunting clothes. Pretty active whitetail WV public land hunter mainly between 20’s-60’s/70’s temp range. Wind and rain/slow not a huge concern. Just bit the bullet on a Kuiu peloton 118 LS for base, SF 260, and Kenai jacket-already had nomad barrier jacket to pull the top together if needed. For the bottoms I have peloton 97 zip offs, FL kiln 250 zip offs, Sitka traverse pants and I got the kenai pants with my Kuiu purchase yesterday. Done a lot of reading and research but this is my first year trying to build a system that fits the way I hunt. I know it boils down to personal preference and everybody being different. Mainly looking for insight on the pieces that I’ve listed together.
Here's my two pesos:
* Peloton 118 LS: Great all around shirt.
* StrongFleece 260: Nice hoodie that is pretty warm and fairly durable.
* Kenai: While I have one, I have never used it in the field. I seem to always take down (top and bottom). Down is warmer but not well suited for movement. But if I'm moving I do not need to be wearing insulation pieces.
* Peloton 97: Not enough to keep me warm while stationary. Don't need if I am moving. But they rock for sleeping in (less for warmth and more for keeping the bag cleaner.

It's a good start and look at the various combinations while out in the field. Make adjustments from there.

Lowg08

WKR
In my opinion it takes some trial and error to find a balanced system for any individual. I have tried for going on three years and I feel like I have mine dialed in BUT!!!!! What suites me in fit and performance may have no Bering on you. I have the peloton 97 zip offs. Great base layer. Those are excellent. I had the kiln great too but not for active hunters. I use the pro merino 145 zip off in alternate or tandom with 97. I don’t know much about the traverse pants but if you are active and have zero hip vents you may regret that. The kenai is a great jacket. I had one but I swapped it in favor of a Celsius midi because it was quieter and layered better. If your looking for an all around base layer top I’m sure the 118 would be good but the peleton 97 will go further in each temperature direction. I feel like down as an outer will be better than the kenai but as a mid. It will be just fine. Those are the only ones I can give insight on. Just in my own opinion which doesn’t amount to much. I feel like you might get cold at 20.

OP
C

Clesh92

FNG
Here's my two pesos:
* Peloton 118 LS: Great all around shirt.
* StrongFleece 260: Nice hoodie that is pretty warm and fairly durable.
* Kenai: While I have one, I have never used it in the field. I seem to always take down (top and bottom). Down is warmer but not well suited for movement. But if I'm moving I do not need to be wearing insulation pieces.
* Peloton 97: Not enough to keep me warm while stationary. Don't need if I am moving. But they rock for sleeping in (less for warmth and more for keeping the bag cleaner.

It's a good start and look at the various combinations while out in the field. Make adjustments from there.
Thanks for the insight on the different pieces. This is my first year trying to get an actual system together and not have just a bunch of random clothes that don’t work. I’m sure I’ll definitely be trying different pieces and combinations to try to narrow it down.

OP
C

Clesh92

FNG
In my opinion it takes some trial and error to find a balanced system for any individual. I have tried for going on three years and I feel like I have mine dialed in BUT!!!!! What suites me in fit and performance may have no Bering on you. I have the peloton 97 zip offs. Great base layer. Those are excellent. I had the kiln great too but not for active hunters. I use the pro merino 145 zip off in alternate or tandom with 97. I don’t know much about the traverse pants but if you are active and have zero hip vents you may regret that. The kenai is a great jacket. I had one but I swapped it in favor of a Celsius midi because it was quieter and layered better. If your looking for an all around base layer top I’m sure the 118 would be good but the peleton 97 will go further in each temperature direction. I feel like down as an outer will be better than the kenai but as a mid. It will be just fine. Those are the only ones I can give insight on. Just in my own opinion which doesn’t amount to much. I feel like you might get cold at 20.
Thanks for the info. I just replied to the comment before yours, I will definitely be figuring out what works and doesn’t work and I’m sure I’ll be changing things out to get it dialed in. My first year trying to get system together that fits how I hunt and I’m sure it’ll definitely take some trial and error.