Good Overall Jacket

Raidertx

FNG
Evening all. Looking for your recommendations and thoughts on a good overall jacket for early to mid season use. Will see CO early on and TX “winter” late season. FL Uncompaghre has caught my eye but curious about the Brooks as well. Open to other brands as well. Doesn’t have to be super packable just solid warmth and breathable. A touch of water and wind resistance won’t hurt my feelings either. Thanks in advance for helping a FNG out.

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the idea of the uncompahgre I would recommend it for your use. As you know, it's not going to be the warmest out there but it will exceed your expectations for early to mid season and is water/wind resistant. This is assuming that the Texas "winter" you quoted isnt anything terribly cold. I got mine at the tail end of the Montana winter this year and was happy with the performance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TreyPound

FNG
I know this is not the question you asked, but maybe consider whether you really want/need hand pockets in your rain jacket. I have been using the Outdoor Research Helium II (which is what you referred to I think – it’s not made by REI) for several years, and I am very pleased with it. Hand pockets are not very accessible when wearing your pack. Pockets and zippers add unnecessary weight, and I have not missed them at all. The jacket has a small chest pocket.

Welcome. The uncomphagre is a great jacket. I am also a big fan of sitkas kelvin light hoodie. Puffys are great insulation, light and packable. They can shed some water but aren’t rainwear IMO. They can also get slashed up and make some noise in brush.

If you are not looking for a puffy, soft shells are very versatile as all around pieces. They can be a bit $$$ but a good one will last for years. Sitka jetstream and kuiu dcf guide jacket are my favs. FL has a catalyst in the same category but I haven’t seen or used it.

Last edited:
OP
R

Raidertx

FNG
Does anyone have experience with both the First Lite Brooks Down Sweater and the First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy? I'm wondering if the Uncompahgre is too warm maybe?

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Evening all. Looking for your recommendations and thoughts on a good overall jacket for early to mid season use. Will see CO early on and TX “winter” late season. FL Uncompaghre has caught my eye but curious about the Brooks as well. Open to other brands as well. Doesn’t have to be super packable just solid warmth and breathable. A touch of water and wind resistance won’t hurt my feelings either. Thanks in advance for helping a FNG out.
The Sitka JETSTREAM JACKET that's all I need to say you can look at all the reviews on this coat and it kills it. windstopper dwr pitzips it has it all fleece lined on the inside for warmth and the pit zips to dump heat just a all around damn good coat. If you have any questions please call and i will give you a bunch of detail and any other things you may want to know even on other products i can give you a run down much easier over phone then a email or text.

The Sitka JETSTREAM JACKET that's all I need to say you can look at all the reviews on this coat and it kills it. windstopper dwr pitzips it has it all fleece lined on the inside for warmth and the pit zips to dump heat just a all around damn good coat. If you have any questions please call and i will give you a bunch of detail and any other things you may want to know even on other products i can give you a run down much easier over phone then a email or text.

Gotta agree with the Jetstream, haven’t found a FL Jacket that matches its versatility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk