Good pack for a woman?!?

Hey everyone so I was looking at the Tenzing 2220 pack for myself. I'm about 5'7" and was loking for a pack that I can use on hunting/backpacking trips. There are many opinions out there and I would like to hear them esp if you are a female and have a pack that fits you best, or you know a female who has a pack she is happy with! This has been a hard decision and the more I research the harder it gets! LOL so I thought nothing beats personal experiences!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Rokslide RealtreeGirl! I have used a bunch of different packs in the last 6 seasons, and am happy to share what my experience has been if its helpful! My current pack, and the best one I have found for the weight is the KU5200 ultralight pack from Kifaru. It's really lightweight (about 3lbs I think), and handles heavy loads very well. Kifaru packs are just well made, and have an excellent suspension system that allows me to keep the weight off my shoulders so I can carry most of the load on my hips. Here are a few pics of the KU pack in action:

IMGP0522.jpg

IMGP0407-C.jpg

IMGP0184.jpg

IMGP1137.jpg

I have also used my husband's Kifaru Timberline on a couple of multi day trips (while the KU was back getting the power pull belt installed), and it was also a great pack, just slightly heavier than the KU.

Haven't had a chance to see the TZ packs in person, so I can't give much info on that...Other packs that I have used include the Mystery Ranch 6500 (great pack, but awfully heavy at 10lbs empty), Mystery Ranch Cerberus (very difficult to get the load off my shoulders, not enough lift with weights north of 50lbs), Granite Gear Vapor Trail (awesome lightweight pack, but better with loads around 40lbs or less), Gregory Jade 50 (similar comments to the Vapor Trail), and Arcteryx Briza (which just never did fit me very well).

Keep in mind that I only ever pack loads up to about 70lbs (which is probably about my max), and usually only pack between 50 and 60 lbs. I am a little shorter than you at 5'3, although that shouldn't make a tremendous difference.

Are you looking for a day pack, or a pack for more extended trips? most of my pack experience is with larger packs, 5500ci or greater, as we are usually doing multiway trips up here in AK and the added space is never a bad thing under those circumstances...

Last edited:
OP
R
Thank you so much Becca! So far love the site! Very helpful! I would like to start doing more backpacking trips so I was thinking a larger pack would be in my best interest, just finding one that I can use for short and long trips! I def agree added space is never a bad thing! I will have to check this pack out! GREAT photos by the way! My Aunt lives in Alaska and wants me to go down there to visit!

Lawnboi

WKR
One of the positives about kifaru packs is how well they compress. The two kifaru packs mentioned will suck down to almost nothing for day trips, and expand to be huge on your longer trips. My timberline which will expand to 7000+ ci will hold 2000 ci and be just as secure and comfortable.

So if your looking for a 'do all' pack kifaru makes some great options, pick one that you think will be big enough for your longest trip and it will preformmed all your smaller trips just as well. Not to mention you can make it fit unlike some of the commercial options.

my wife has been using a dana design bridger we got off ebay for less than $200, it was in great shape and that pack was way ahead of its time. she's been pretty happy with it so far and doesn't really feel the need to upgrade...

kaboku68

WKR
I am a bargain basement gear nut. My wife this last year decided that she had enough of me just going so I went through the process of outfitting her in
such a way that she will continue to love the outdoors and I don't have to move outside to the doghouse.
I ended up buying her a 85 liter Bergan's of Norway Lady Viking. This is roughly the same size as Beccas Kifaru. She has Norwegian roots and has a long torso.
It was exactly the right pack for her.

Sincerely,
Thomas