Good podcast on Wounding Loss

Rob5589

WKR
I'm about half way through the podcast. I like it so far.

If I understand what the guy is saying, he says that half of the mortalities of the collared elk were from hunters that did not find the elk they shot. I haven't listened to the entire episode yet keep in mind.

After hearing this, I was thinking of reasons why this would happen. How many guys in the woods would freak out if they walked up on their animal and it had on a radio collar?

I myself would not. But I'm sure there are guys that would just leave an animal there in fear they had done something wrong.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I wondered that myself.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about half way through the podcast. I like it so far.

If I understand what the guy is saying, he says that half of the mortalities of the collared elk were from hunters that did not find the elk they shot. I haven't listened to the entire episode yet keep in mind.
According to Craig the hunter wounding loss are elk that are shot and not recovered. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what happened, but in many to most of the cases the poor shot placement is evident. An elk that is gut shot and then bumped too early in the recovery could run miles and not be recovered. There isn't a way to follow up with the hunter who wounded and did not recover an elk, so the necropsy on site is what they have to rely on.

I appreciate the listen and discussion on the topic.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Listened to the podcast on wounding and just kept rolling with some of the others as well. All have been very well done. Great work @406life
I appreciate it. The topics are all areas I have interest and desire to learn more. Covid hit me hard the past couple of weeks, but the episodes I just recorded and will release in the next couple weeks are ones that were at the top of my list to record.