Good primer for muzzleloader terminology

voodoo

FNG
Just trying to get into muzzeloading and some of the terms that people who are steeped in it assume everyone knows that that means. Looking to demystify some things.

Kotaman

WKR
Since 20 people have viewed this and no one has said anything, I will: What?

Seriously, are you asking a question? Making a statement? Help us out here...

Had a CCI misfire yesterday I shot 2 dozen at the range the week before no problem and hunted yesterday one misfire and one good shot, powder wasn’t wet breach plug was just cleaned

Had a CCI misfire yesterday I shot 2 dozen at the range the week before no problem and hunted yesterday one misfire and one good shot, powder wasn’t wet breach plug was just cleaned

you say a clean breechplug, did you use any oil, did you clean the flash channel?
I always use magnum primers, either CCI209M or Fed209A

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Just trying to get into muzzeloading and some of the terms that people who are steeped in it assume everyone knows that that means. Looking to demystify some things.

Give some examples of some of the terminology that you find confusing, and we can help you out.

It's just like any other type of specialized activity, takes a bit to understand it all, but that's what makes it fun.

Give some examples of some of the terminology that you find confusing, and we can help you out.

It's just like any other type of specialized activity, takes a bit to understand it all, but that's what makes it fun.

seems it would be the easiest way to determine what he may need help understanding.

Yea it’s the cva Blackhorn plug I did the drill bit then the torch tip cleaner to the little hole. No oil or solvent
That doesn’t make sense. You said you’re using CCI primers, are you using the magnum? Or are they the muzzleloader in-line primers?
I’ve never had a problem as long as I used the Blackhorn plug and make sure the flash channel is clean and used magnum primers.

Flash Chanel is clean, I’ll have to get the box, I went to the shop got Blackhorn and the kid said I need these CCI primers with them and that’s what I got. I can’t remember if they said magnum

Flash Chanel is clean, I’ll have to get the box, I went to the shop got Blackhorn and the kid said I need these CCI primers with them and that’s what I got. I can’t remember if they said magnum

If they look like this, I’d go back and shove them up the kids @** they are junk and shouldn’t be sold and definitely, not recommended!
Have you fired a primer after you clean the plug? Just to make sure you have a clean clear plug.
Also if you get a FTF (fail to fire) before just putting another primer on and trying again. Make sure you ensure the bullet didn’t move off the powder.

Attachments

• F0FBEE05-37CF-4A99-B8BB-CAB7ADB11584.jpeg
    F0FBEE05-37CF-4A99-B8BB-CAB7ADB11584.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 22
If they look like this, I’d go back and shove them up the kids @** they are junk and shouldn’t be sold and definitely, not recommended!
Have you fired a primer after you clean the plug? Just to make sure you have a clean clear plug.
Also if you get a FTF (fail to fire) before just putting another primer on and trying again. Make sure you ensure the bullet didn’t move off the powder.

No definitely didn’t look like that I think it just said CCI 209 shotshell primer but maybe not magnum. I called all 3 places within an hour and no one has magnums only triple 7 and federal muzzleloader primers. I have a buddy that reloads shotguns that has a box of some Winchester SXT or something like that he said they should work well any experience with them? I run the torch tip cleaner through it and make sure I can see through it definitely wasn’t clogged

Singleshot

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure what gun you have but in my cva optima pistol you have to pour the powder slowly and then tap the side of the barrel to get the powder into the recessed breech plug. After I figured that out I haven’t had a single failure to fire, and definitely use the magnum primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What bullet and/or sabot are you loading?

Are you positive you are getting the bullet down tightly on the powder?

Barnes TMZ 250, I’m sure it’s bottomed out. The box just said CCI shotshell primers not magnum. I just got some federal 209a and firochi. Will they change my POI?

Barnes TMZ 250, I’m sure it’s bottomed out. The box just said CCI shotshell primers not magnum. I just got some federal 209a and firochi. Will they change my POI?

it’s possible if you weren’t getting full ignition with the other primers but I’m thinking it’s got to be something else. Just not sure what’s going on...

can you post a picture of your breechplug? Specifically the powder end...
And which CVA are you using?

Last edited:
No idea man I’ve been shooting triple 7 and white hots for years and the only time I get hang fire or misfire is when pellets get wet or breach plug is clogged, this is my first time using Blackhorn and it was definitely not wet and the breach plug was clear and seated all the way down, cap definitely went off but didn’t ignite powder. Now I wished I had put another primer in to see if it would go but I pulled the plug and inspected powder and it all seemed dry. I just hope the hotter primers don’t change my POI

it’s possible if you weren’t getting full ignition with the other primers but I’m thinking it’s got to be something else. Just not sure what’s going on...

can you post a picture of your breechplug? Specifically the powder end...
And which CVA are you using?

Yup, I loaded yesterday before I headed out to hunt and never ended up going the wife put the guilt trip on me. Do you load and unload everytime going out?

Yup, I loaded yesterday before I headed out to hunt and never ended up going the wife put the guilt trip on me. Do you load and unload everytime going out?

I do not and especially after I switched to BH209. But what ever you do, if you get a fail to fire. Before just putting another primer on and trying again, run your ramrod down and make sure your bullet didn’t raise off the powder. It can act like a pipe bomb, if you do.

Im still questioning your breechplug, post a pic of it (powder end)

and tell us which CVA you have...