Good reads

Beastmode

WKR
I have read quite a few books about backcountry hunting/wilderness survival. Im not gonna list them all, but I was wondering what books you guys/gals have read and would recommend.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Les Stroud s book, and any military survival manual i can get. David Longs book is great as well for Mule deer.

thanses

FNG
Not really backcountry but Meat Eater is a good read and I need to order up Billy Molls new book.

shaun

WKR
I have read a chapter here n there of Mike Eastmans new book on Muleys it seems like a good one

Ozz08

WKR
Another book you might like is "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Hunting" by Frank Miniter. It's a fun totally pro hunting book. Has a bunch of cool little facts and will give you some good ammo to win any argument against anti-hunters. My wife read some of the book and even used some of the suggested arguments against some of her co workers that couldn't believe she hunted waterfowl with me.

bbrown

WKR
David Long's Public Land Mulies is a good read and so is Meateater by Steven Rinella. Another good one (read it a couple times) is Wildlife Wars by Terry Grosz. Its a bunch of short stories/adventures from one of the early game wardens in California. Check it out...
I am looking to read Les Stoud's next...

Man-eaters of Kamaon is a good one while not related to North American hunting...

Whats the gist of the Man Eater book?

sodak

FNG
The best that I have read so far was by Jose Ortega y Gasset "Meditations on Hunting." I also really enjoy most of Ruark and Capstick.

Lukem

WKR
Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival is a good "how to" on the basics. I need to read Les Stroud.

bbrown

WKR
Meateater is a bunch of short stories of hunting, fishing, trapping and the outdoors from childhood until present mixed with a bit of Steven's philosophy. I am about half way thru it liking it so far - just need to make the time to finish it up.

Last edited:

Craig4791

WKR
I recently read Technical Bowhunting by Joe Bell and thought it was a good read on shooting techniques, tuning and the like.

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
"Crow Killer" about Jeremiah (John) Johnson (Johnston).

"Last of a Breed" by Louis LaMour.