Good resources for learning to hunt mid-west public land?

Hey Everyone,

Do you have recommendations for resources about hunting public land I can learn from? Just want to gain a better understanding of what to expect.

I have experience on private land, but understand public can often be pressured differently for Whitetail.

The Hunting Public will be the best you can find. Also, you must pay attention to the wind. Those deer travel that farm land like elk travel in the mountains. They keep the wind in their favor. Also, if you are hunting on public, don’t think you have to push super deep. I killed a nice deer in Kansas this year 500 yards off the road on a creek that created a natural pinch point.

Most importantly, if you want to see deer and stay in deer, you have to hunt the freshest sign you can find. I scouted numerous farms in Kansas and hung multiple cams in areas that should have had deer cruising or traveling only to get limited pics. I hunted the freshest sign and consistently saw deer where I hunted. It may look like a great spot, but if the sign is old, leave it for someone else to waste time on.

This was my first year hunting Kansas and I’m hooked. I will be taking my wife back this year with me and putting her on a deer with her bow. She’s going to absolutely love this style of hunting over sitting and staring at a corn feeder bc she loves chasing elk in Colorado.

It will get addicting if you have success and you’ll find yourself hunting more public than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sturgeon

WKR
I second the whole not having to get super deep. I shot a decent buck in 2019 on a small piece of public a couple hundred yards behind a house. The biggest thing is finding places that get overlooked, wether you have to cross a stream, bust brush, or you find a piece of property that is open to public hunting but doesn’t show up on most maps. Also if bow hunting there isn’t usually a lot of pressure till November. So weekdays the end of October you can have places to yourself.

What state are you planning on hunting? Make sure you familiarize yourself with the rules of the specific properties you are looking to hunt. Sometimes they vary between state forest, national forest, fish and wildlife areas etc...

Also I agree with the above about bow hunting, here in Indiana I usually don't see much pressure at all until November.

Biggie

FNG
Seem to be everyone's answer anymore is go deep. And now everyone hunts as far as they can walk. Spend more time people scouting than deer scouting.

WCB

WKR
The Hunting Public is interesting to watch... a couple of them are good at killing stuff. I wouldn't consider them the authority on public land hunting though. but don't be the jack wagon running all over every piece of public blowing stuff out then screaming when you kill something. Best way to learn is to do. Deer are deer...they seek safety/cover and food. for a short time bucks seek does.

OP
P
What state are you planning on hunting? Make sure you familiarize yourself with the rules of the specific properties you are looking to hunt. Sometimes they vary between state forest, national forest, fish and wildlife areas etc...

Also I agree with the above about bow hunting, here in Indiana I usually don't see much pressure at all until November.
Northern Illinois. I've done some research on regulations and it seems to be different for every piece of public land. I'll be careful about that. I'll have to try Oct out! Thanks

Wolfmann

FNG
Hunting public and hunting beast videos are great, but remember they most likely have a lot more time to hunt than you do. The one bit of advice I would give is do your scouting and if your on hot sign sit as long as you can. In my experience public land bucks especially mature bucks like to move at night or mid day when hunters are warm at home. If you have a hot location hunt it hard, because if you don't someone else most likely will. This advice only really applies for rut and pre rut.

harris611

FNG
Mark Kenyon's Wired to Hunt podcast has a bunch of episodes focusing on public land hunting. I've been hunting whitetails for 30 years -- I learned more in the last year listening to that podcast than I did in the entire 29 years prior. Really, really good content.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
Northern Illinois. I've done some research on regulations and it seems to be different for every piece of public land. I'll be careful about that. I'll have to try Oct out! Thanks
Public land bow hunting in Northern IL can be a rough go. Like you said, just about every IL DNR site has different regs and none are easily understood. I’ve started driving to hunt other public land spots in IL to have better/more encounters and more success. Feel free to reach out with any questions. I’m Always happy to help another IL guy.

OP
P
Public land bow hunting in Northern IL can be a rough go. Like you said, just about every IL DNR site has different regs and none are easily understood. I’ve started driving to hunt other public land spots in IL to have better/more encounters and more success. Feel free to reach out with any questions. I’m Always happy to help another IL guy.
Nice to see another Northern IL guy here. What makes Northern IL rough? I'm new to the area and have only hunted Northern WI.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Mark Kenyon's Wired to Hunt podcast has a bunch of episodes focusing on public land hunting. I've been hunting whitetails for 30 years -- I learned more in the last year listening to that podcast than I did in the entire 29 years prior. Really, really good content.
Thanks for the tip, I’ve been enjoying this all week.

RC_

FNG
John Eberhart's books would probably be a solid starting point. Lots of good info that can be applied to any hunting situation, but focuses on dealing with high pressure areas.

I’ve been hunting public for 40 years now. The best advise I have for anybody is play the wind and never over look the obvious. If the best sign you find is 100 yards from the truck there is a reason. Good luck and enjoy what Mother Nature gives you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d add to use tools like OnX or Google Earth to e-scout, then get your boots on the ground. Don’t be afraid of creative approaches. I found a piece of public near me with a creek splitting the property. Kayaked along the stream a week before opener, marked the freshest crossings on the map, then had a doe tag filled by 7:30AM opening morning.

OP
P
I’d add to use tools like OnX or Google Earth to e-scout, then get your boots on the ground. Don’t be afraid of creative approaches. I found a piece of public near me with a creek splitting the property. Kayaked along the stream a week before opener, marked the freshest crossings on the map, then had a doe tag filled by 7:30AM opening morning.
Good point. Thanks for the insight.