Good tripod and head

I believe I need a better setup for predator hunting. Coyotes mainly. I read through the thread in the LR forum. There are a few differences from shooting LR and coyotes that I can think of. So I wanted to get opinions separate from that thread.

I will be panning a lot since I will be shooting at targets that are moving a lot more plus follow ups for doubles or triples. I don't care about the weight. I pack a lot more weight deer hunting than I do coyote hunting so a heavy setup doesn't bother me. Most of the time I try to sit since I am more stable. But I have to stand also sometimes and its nicer to stand so I can scan 360 degrees better.

From the little bit of research I have done RRS is the standout when it comes to shooting tripods. I don't want to spend that type of money quite yet. I was thinking of buying an RRS head and another brand tripod. Also I prefer carbon over aluminum. Its not as loud if I bump it or as cold.

Should I just suck it up and get an RRS? From reading I believe the Anvil 30 would be the best head. Which tripod should I look at?

Regards, Branden

Split toe

WKR
RRS with a anvil 30 head. I use mine for nightime thermal hunting for coyotes. You can see some pictures of my setup if you search under my name. They are expensive, but you'll ultimately want to get one, so just bite the bullet now.

OP
dirtytough
RRS with a anvil 30 head. I use mine for nightime thermal hunting for coyotes. You can see some pictures of my setup if you search under my name. They are expensive, but you'll ultimately want to get one, so just bite the bullet now.
Which tripod are you using?

Thanks. I was researching them pretty hard last night. That seems like the best combo from what I could tell.

Regards, Branden

RRS is definitely awesome but didn’t you say you didn’t want to spend that much? Look at the Shadow Systems/Hog Saddle website. He has some great options that will save you a bunch of money. If you’re going to get into competition LR shooting or you have lots of discretionary income, the RRS stuff is tremendous but it’s not going to make you a better shooter. If a 5% improvement (maybe) is worth the extra 40% cost, go for it; but if money is tight there are other options that will get the job done without the logo to impress the guys at the range. Personally, I don’t see the practical advantage of the RRS gear for predator hunting. The only thing that I DO think RRS has that can be a big help is their leveling base if you don’t have to shoot extreme angles AND you have a tripod that will accept one. The lower center of gravity makes you more steady than a ball head IF, like I said, you don’t need to shoot extreme angles.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
You want a solid set up and not the price tag?
Look up innorel 90 on Amazon and a desmond dlow 55 for the head and dont look back.

It gets tall, is sturdy, and I have a pic somewhere of me hanging off it at like 210#

Attachments

• 20210109_043516.jpg
    20210109_043516.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 26
OP
dirtytough
RRS is definitely awesome but didn’t you say you didn’t want to spend that much? Look at the Shadow Systems/Hog Saddle website. He has some great options that will save you a bunch of money. If you’re going to get into competition LR shooting or you have lots of discretionary income, the RRS stuff is tremendous but it’s not going to make you a better shooter. If a 5% improvement (maybe) is worth the extra 40% cost, go for it; but if money is tight there are other options that will get the job done without the logo to impress the guys at the range. Personally, I don’t see the practical advantage of the RRS gear for predator hunting. The only thing that I DO think RRS has that can be a big help is their leveling base if you don’t have to shoot extreme angles AND you have a tripod that will accept one. The lower center of gravity makes you more steady than a ball head IF, like I said, you don’t need to shoot extreme angles.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I definitely don’t want to spend RRS type money if not needed. I’m also not a fan of the clamp style connections. That’s what I’m using now.

Dogs are worth an ok amount. I turned a $35 dog into $10 with a fringe hit. I missed another dog on that stand. Maybe a different tripod/head wouldn’t of made a difference and maybe it would have.

You want a solid set up and not the price tag?
Look up innorel 90 on Amazon and a desmond dlow 55 for the head and dont look back.

It gets tall, is sturdy, and I have a pic somewhere of me hanging off it at like 210#
I’ve looked at that tripod. Not that head though.

I’ll do more research and hopefully test a few out before I purchase something.

Smid

WKR
The Desmond is a better value for the money, but if you have the money RRS ballhead and leveling bases are going to be better. Two vets makes a nice tripod for not quite RRS prices