Good weather to test out your gear in South Carolina tonight and tomorrow.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
In upstate SC forecasted weather tonight is a low of 25 with 30 MPH wind gusts. High tomorrow of 35.

If you need more oomph in your weather drive 1 hour north for a low of 12 with high in mid twenties.

Not exactly Montana cold but pretty good for us. Perhaps you can see how well that new Dyneema tarp holds up.

MERRY CHRISTMAS from sunny South Carolina.

FLAK

WKR
I'm down here on the Gulf and whew buddy!!
Went out to throw a tarp over my cabbage, kale
and Pineapples.
That wind is brisk!!
Was going to hit the Jettys for some Sheepshead
but thats gonna have to wait a few days.

mt100gr.

WKR
Lol....funny this thread came up today. We had a couple days where the Temps stayed right at 0 a couple Christmas eves ago (Montana)...naturally I had to test my bag pad and puffy gear for a night. No sign of Santa but there was some suspect yellow snow by my tent that almost fooled my kids.20171225_054032.jpg

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have noticed that I "feel" colder here in SC than I do out west at same temp. I remember a time hiking in Wyoming at around 9600 ft at 19 degrees F. It felt equivalent to being out here in Sc with temps about 30 or so.

I don't know why but I have experienced this a few times. Perhaps it's altitude or humidity or something else but I have been out here in SC when temps were in the teens and it felt pretty damn cold-again it was perception but the same temps out west seem milder.

Is that just me?

ShortMagFan

Lil-Rokslider
Not just you. I’ve been told in the past it’s the humidity. I’ve frozen my tail off hunting in the Piedmont of SC or foothills or North Georgia. When I hunted Colorado it was colder (and snowing) and I never noticed the cold.

Agreed, a great night for testing. 32 by morning with 20 mpg winds and 30+ gusts. Living near Charleston, I try and test during heavy storms and high winds. What passes for cold here doesn't quite do it.

Worked in Maine last week and tested my Western Mountaineering Sequoia at around 11 degrees by sleeping in the back of the rental Jeep in the hotel parking lot. Snow storms all night. Sunny morning and some nice fox tracks.
20201217_211626.jpg20201218_111855.jpg

Last edited:
Not just you. I’ve been told in the past it’s the humidity. I’ve frozen my tail off hunting in the Piedmont of SC or foothills or North Georgia. When I hunted Colorado it was colder (and snowing) and I never noticed the cold.
I think it's the high altitude and sun that makes it feel warmer here. It's 7 degrees at my house now and 70% humidity, and that humidity is pretty typical for winter. Looking at the forecast for SC when the cold arrives it's forecasted to be 58% humidity.

I have noticed that I "feel" colder here in SC than I do out west at same temp. I remember a time hiking in Wyoming at around 9600 ft at 19 degrees F. It felt equivalent to being out here in Sc with temps about 30 or so.

I don't know why but I have experienced this a few times. Perhaps it's altitude or humidity or something else but I have been out here in SC when temps were in the teens and it felt pretty damn cold-again it was perception but the same temps out west seem milder.

Is that just me?
It's the difference in humidity. Way more humidity here. I will take a dry 10 over a damp 30 anyday.

It's the difference in humidity. Way more humidity here. I will take a dry 10 over a damp 30 anyday.
Watch the weather. It's pretty humid here in the winter.

Current weather:
Greensboro NC - 29 degrees, 51% humidity
Victor ID - 5 degrees, 84% humidity

Oregon

WKR
SE USA. Too damn hot in the summer, and when a cold front comes through, it is bone chilling miserableness!

Well the winds had their way with us last night. Lost power around 3 AM. Cooked breakfast on the gas stove. Gas hot water heater means hot showers. Beautiful clear, crisp, sunny Christmas day. We are blessed.

Cat says, "No power, no problem! The sun works just fine."
20201225_102901~2.jpg
No light in the bathroom? We got that covered.
20201225_102319.jpg

CJohnson

WKR
Watch the weather. It's pretty humid here in the winter.

Current weather:
Greensboro NC - 29 degrees, 51% humidity
Victor ID - 5 degrees, 84% humidity
I don’t remember exactly how this works because I’m a few drinks into my Christmas gifts, but if those numbers are relative humidity, then there could be a huge difference in the amount of moisture in the air which is what makes one place feel colder than another at the same temp. For example, jumping into a swimming pool at 33F feels a lot different that standing in the air at 33F.

I don’t remember exactly how this works because I’m a few drinks into my Christmas gifts, but if those numbers are relative humidity, then there could be a huge difference in the amount of moisture in the air which is what makes one place feel colder than another at the same temp. For example, jumping into a swimming pool at 33F feels a lot different that standing in the air at 33F.
Like the warmer air holds more moisture even though the number is lower? I need to read up on relative humidity. I know what you guys are saying, having grown up in Greensboro area, I've felt it. Just trying to wrap my head around all of it.