Google Earth overlays

Gapmaster

WKR
So I'm looking at hunting a new area and have narrowed it down to two units. I have plenty of experience and I'm not asking for "hunting" tips. One unit, I've hunted near and spent some time camping/hiking so I know what to expect as far as terrain ect. The other, I've only driven through and have never hunted any adjoining units either so I'm leaning on google Earth for some info. So to get to the point, I added the CPW elk overlay on Google Earth, I'm a bowhunter so I'm mainly looking at reproduction areas and summer concentration areas. One wilderness area I'm studying has pocketed concentration areas on google Earth. I can't tell any difference in the "unshaded" areas topography or elevation as the shaded areas. Just wondering if anyone has noticed any correlation to actual field concentrations vs google Earth data. Obviously I understand that it is only a tool and not to be interpreted as the "gospel". Just seems strange that some really excellent looking country not be as populated as the next ridge over so to speak. I know... "Elk are where they are"

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I am far from the best to answer I'm sure, but I used the CPW layer while hunting last year. I would say you are pretty spot on with "elk are where they are". The layer would give you a general idea, but hardly would be fine enough detail to separate individual ridges as popular areas or not.

Beendare

WKR
I use GE to find isolated areas. Habitat is over rated, IMO.

Hunter pressure is the numero uno consideration in Co OTC ground....if it's easily accessible for a lot of guys....move on...its pressured. Now that doesn't mean it has to be 20 miles in......there are many spots guy walk/drive past that hold elk.

____

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
Ya I look for the “over looked” areas. The 6 pt bull I killed last year was 1/4 mi off a main road. Just an out of the way little spot that was almost vertical. Second elk I’ve killed in the exact same spot. Just looking for some new territory.