Google Pixel 4a - User Opinions

My old S7 is getting tired, battery is shot. Like a smallish phone, comparatively. Not an Apple fan.

Use all the navigation stuff, OnX, Gaia, Earthmate, link with Inreach, download info from my watch.

Web surf, email, calls, text, etc..

Battery life is the biggest concern. Wish there was a card slot, but I think I can manage the 128gb storage.

Use a phone camera a lot.

If you have one, and especially if it's a hunting tool or accessory, I'd appreciate your review.

Thanks.

I moved from an old iphone 6s to a pixel 4a. It has done everything I need in a phone and doesn't feel like I have a giant pop tart in my pocket. Some of the new phones are just massive.

The battery is good especially paired with the more efficient hardware they put in it.

128Gb is plenty and I would much rather have 128Gb on board than 64Gb on the phone and another 64Gb on an SD card.

The camera is solid and google has kept the same 12Mp main camera for 3 generations for a reason. It does great in low light and they have the processing down.

I used mine for OnX last year and it did well.

I went with a Spigen Tough Armor case and it has held up great

Sled

WKR
i've run the pixel 1, 2 and now the 4a. there were quirks with all of them but the 4a has been great so far. i'm not missing anything i can't live without in the flagship phones. i use the phone for emails, calling, text, pics (no selfies) some web surfing and onx... no social media. the size is good for all that, can be used with one hand and it fits in the pocket.

OP
insanelupus
Thank you for the replies. MuleyFever, cost was one aspect, but for some reason I was under the impression the 5 was a larger phone dimensionally. Since that is not the case and the bigger battery and IP rating makes the 5 appealing, even at the highest price.

Im still not sure about cloud storage, but I can always download the photos and data as needed I reckon.

Thank you folks. Info I needed.

Venom One

WKR
I've heard a lot of really good things about the 4a and was ready to pull the trigger on one for myself....then I discovered they have no water resistance/waterproofness. Being from the PNW, that's a deal breaker for me. I'm waiting for the Pixel 5 - which is waterproof - to come down in price.

Sled

WKR
I've heard a lot of really good things about the 4a and was ready to pull the trigger on one for myself....then I discovered they have no water resistance/waterproofness. Being from the PNW, that's a deal breaker for me. I'm waiting for the Pixel 5 - which is waterproof - to come down in price.

that's not a bad idea. so far i've been lucky with the 4a. i've had it since the release and it has been wet multiple times. not dropped in the toilet wet but wet to the point that the phone alerted me and automatically disabled the charging feature until it dried out. this is related to the port itself being wet, either from rain or sweat and a few 32oz glasses of h2o getting poured over it at night. the bedside stand is where my phone charges and my drinking water sits overnight and accidents happen.

OP
insanelupus
Im waiting for a 5 price drop too, or at least some kind of deal. I'll need it before SEP though, so I might not get much of a deal at all. Going unlocked to keep the Verizon bloatware off it.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
I just switched to the 4a.
I am definitely not a smart phone power user, so saw no real need to go to one of the premium phones available.
The 4a, as a mid-level unit seems to be a sweet spot for me.

Bought an unlocked version and did all of the data transfer and setup myself. Not sure if all of the brands and services are as easy as Google makes it for the Pixel products. It was pretty simple and angst free.

I use Scope)cam for digiscoping with my hunting optics. Scopecamadapter.com Ordered an otterbox symetry to mount the adapter to. Works great.

Venom One

WKR
I just switched to the 4a.
I am definitely not a smart phone power user, so saw no real need to go to one of the premium phones available.
The 4a, as a mid-level unit seems to be a sweet spot for me.

Bought an unlocked version and did all of the data transfer and setup myself. Not sure if all of the brands and services are as easy as Google makes it for the Pixel products. It was pretty simple and angst free.

I use Scope)cam for digiscoping with my hunting optics. Scopecamadapter.com Ordered an otterbox symetry to mount the adapter to. Works great
Agree! I think Google's Pixels are the sweet spot for phones, price and performance-wise. I doubt most people need the latest/greatest/fastest phones so getting an excellent phone with great camera and no bloatware is perfect for me.

OP
insanelupus
I still wish they'd add an SD card slot, then the Pixel 4a & 5 would be near perfect!

Last edited:
OP
insanelupus
Figured I'd update this. I planned to purchase the Pixel 5 when prices dropped. However, I chanced into a brand new, factory sealed, unlocked Samsung S10e, which had been on my short list, for $275ish. Good camera, sd card slot, still a slightly bigger battery than my S7 (though at 3100 vs 4000 Pixel 5, that's the only place I thought the Pixel had a definate edge). My wife is in need of a new phone too and the price made it a no brainer. Added in a Tab A7 from Best Buy on sale to view mapping software at the truck and for travel, all in 2 phones and tablet for roughly the cost of the Pixel 5.

I always carry a battery pack and I'm going to try charging only to 85% to help the battery maintain a longer life. Supposedly that helps and may have been the issue with the gradual drop of use time on my S7.

Life is always an experiment ! Lol