Goose Call

ks.snow

FNG
Looking to upgrade my goose call from my current Zink.

Looking at: Molt Gear rush , Foiles SMH, Field proven aftershock, C&S Grail or disciple, GK giant killer, bay country shore thing, or Trim ground real thang.

any recommendations out there?

Also thinking of picking up bad grammar by Scott Threinen to learn more calls.

KurtR

WKR
I like the molt gear and really like my drc life sentence it gets a little deeper for those big honkers

Wheels

WKR
Grounds G Overhauler is a good one and east to blow. I also have a Real Thang and you are right, it is a bit deeper toned but not significant.
Bad Grammar is great for learning on if you can handle listening to Scott.

Donjuan

WKR
I really like GK calls. They use to make some delving calls that were easy to learn on and cheap.
I have a cocobolo solution that's a killer

My Tim Grounds Triple Crown in burnt maple is my all time favorite. Also like the C&S apostle & DRC life sentence or the short drop for little geese.

I have the C&S Disciple and really like it. I’m by no means a good caller but this one has been pretty easy to pick up and run.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
It’s hard to beat a Grounds when it comes to goose calls. I’d highly recommend calling them up and they will get you set in the right direction.

dtrkyman

WKR
Hand any decent call to a good caller and it doesn't matter much, I have a cheap old Mick Lacy short reed and it sounds as good as anything, even when I hand it to comp. callers they were impressed.

I blow it better than hogh end calls, more about the user.

Best caller I know can use anything, it is ridiculous.

Mosby

WKR
I am just getting back into waterfowl hunting after a long...long time away. I suck so take my advice fwiw. A lot of good calls/brands to choose from. I am still in the buying and trying phase myself.

Right now, I have a Grounds acrylic/hedge G Overhauler and a C & S Prophet. I will probably pick up a Saunders Traffic soon. Other calls that have been recommended to me are the Bay Country Winter Harvest and Black Timber Overload. Black Timber and C & S use the same gut system and shaved reeds and neither take a lot of air to run.

My plan is to find 2 versatile goose calls that are easy to blow(don't take a lot of air), compliment each other and are somewhat forgiving to run. I will probably go through a few calls in the process and once I get what I like figured out, I can always sell off what I don't like or send a call back and have it re-tuned to what I do. One good thing about the smaller call companies is the customer service they provide.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I'll take a Pro Mag and a Half Breed any day of the week. There's a reason Tim always had a HB on his lanyard...it's a flat out killer

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
You can go through 100 calls before you find a setup that fits you best. Or, while learning to run the call, you can also learn to tune the call. How the call is tuned is 10x more important than the logo engraved on the side. Some might sound better tuned higher or lower, some might take more air, or less air to run, but a $150 call in $1.50 hands will sound like a $1.50 call. I picked up the basics of a short reed by sitting with a Zink staffer at Sportsmans warehouse one afternoon in 2007 or 2008. I used bad grammar from Scott @ Molt Gear to add more notes and flow. Get as good as you can on a goose call. It 100% will mean more birds harvested. Geese to me are susceptible to being pulled off of their flightline (running traffic) by flagging and aggressive calling, and many times if you can't stay on the call nearly constantly, they will waiver and move off. But if you can stay on the call, you can often finish them. Important for hunting in areas where you might get under them but can't get on the x.

Looking to upgrade my goose call from my current Zink.

Looking at: Molt Gear rush , Foiles SMH, Field proven aftershock, C&S Grail or disciple, GK giant killer, bay country shore thing, or Trim ground real thang.

any recommendations out there?

Also thinking of picking up bad grammar by Scott Threinen to learn more calls.
I've tried a few on your list and all are good calls. I would try to at least hold and look at them before hand if you can. Also fit the call to your hunting style and calling ability. I hunt all geese from big to small ,too white and even my favorite specks. I have several calls for all of them. For Honkers I love my Gander valley Hybrid, it's all big goose. If I'm hunting an aggressive feed, I grab one of my Bill Saunders calls. Bills red guts have a very loud and sharp pitch. What ever call you buy just spend the time practicing. Also listen to the birds as much as you can. Try to copy their sounds. To many guys learn to make the sounds caller make,but never listen to the birds.

I am just getting back into waterfowl hunting after a long...long time away. I suck so take my advice fwiw. A lot of good calls/brands to choose from. I am still in the buying and trying phase myself.

Right now, I have a Grounds acrylic/hedge G Overhauler and a C & S Prophet. I will probably pick up a Saunders Traffic soon. Other calls that have been recommended to me are the Bay Country Winter Harvest and Black Timber Overload. Black Timber and C & S use the same gut system and shaved reeds and neither take a lot of air to run.

My plan is to find 2 versatile goose calls that are easy to blow(don't take a lot of air), compliment each other and are somewhat forgiving to run. I will probably go through a few calls in the process and once I get what I like figured out, I can always sell off what I don't like or send a call back and have it re-tuned to what I do. One good thing about the smaller call companies is the customer service they provide.
Get one tuned a little higher pitched. Also make on the smaller side ,so it runs faster. This is great for lessers and running traffic. Believe me I know what I'm talking about.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Pennsylvania waterfowl hunter here so we don't have the little geese, but I always have my Saunders i5KLR on my lanyard along with usually a hedge Red Zone and/or Acrylic Traffic. Sometimes rapid fire and high pitch notes of that i5 gets their juices flowing when working circling flocks over feed fields. For river hunts where we have minimal spreads and are usually luring in small groups, pairs and singles, I just keep to the deeper toned calls.

Grounds 1st w/ GK as a close 2nd.....

Threinen blew grounds for a decade and won all his major comps before starting his own shop.

Virtually every call I own (sold many kept few) anymore have history and sentiment tied to them. I haven't blown anything new for a long time, mostly because the people behind them aren't really interesting.

Nobody current has had more history with canada's than Tim Grounds did when he was alive (Foiles was getting there but it isn't a good history: http://igwmagazine.com/Past_Issues/2011/Foiles-conviction-IGW-WINTER-2011.pdf :LOL::LOL::LOL:). If you can find an original acrylic super mag with a corked inset, not o-rings and was hand scribed not machined you would have the holy grail. I only have ever personally seen one.

Mick Lacy..... there's a blast from the past.

GK's have been around from the inception of the short reed craze also and have put out some tremendous calls.

When I shop for a call I really only focus on one thing and that's how much volume and contrast it can produce. It takes sitting in a pit alot of mornings adjacent to other guides/hunters to hear a difference between really flat sounding calls vs really loud sounding calls. Most will tune their short reeds in their basement or car so they're easy to blow and can produce fast transitions and notes out of them and generally they think it's loud. They get out into a pit or blind and think similar becuase it's tight quarters and the end of the call is right in their face. when you have a lightly tuned short reed in the field left of you and a heavy to the right you can hear a massive difference and similarly so can geese. I don't know if any call is able to get as loud as a super mag. Maybe some of the new ones are but haven't really been overly impressed with any of the new ones or the people behind them.