Goose pluckin’?

Oregon

Used to do the wax trick in hot water. Works pretty good.
Id pay good money to live somewhere that had picking shacks available.

OP
M

mporter012

places where waterfowling is popular. Arkansas, Sac Valley, etc.
Drop birds off, come back, birds are plucked.
pay guys who plucked.
I used to pay my daughter $5 a bird to pick. She grew up. Damn it!
That’s incredible!

3pointer

I’ll breast most geese pound and bread them with Italian bread crumbs, but I will pick a young speckle belly though

Oregon

Do you guys dip your ducks/geese in hot water before plucking?
Do you know/understand how the hot wax works? If you don’t, google. It works great.
basically, melt a bunch of perafin wax in boiling water. Submerge goose in pot, keep dipping underwater. Hang bird and let cool/dry. Then peel like an orange. Works pretty good.
Saves on early onset of carpal tunnel.

Bow Bullet

Add a squirt or two of dish soap instead of wax to a pot of water and bring to a boil. Dip goose or duck 10-15 seconds. Pull out and rub feathers neck to tail. They should peel off easily. If not, dip them a little longer. Finish off the few remaining pin feathers and down with a propane torch. Wash with clean water and you're done. And the pot washes up easy as you don't have to worry about cleaning up all the wax

gadrahthaar

Do you know/understand how the hot wax works? If you don’t, google. It works great.
basically, melt a bunch of perafin wax in boiling water. Submerge goose in pot, keep dipping underwater. Hang bird and let cool/dry. Then peel like an orange. Works pretty good.
Saves on early onset of carpal tunnel.
I use and preach this method. Try and pull the skin "down" from the cold wax rather than the wax up from the skin. Works wonderfully and you can reuse wax.

Poser

Pluck the feathers, leaving only down.
Dip in hot waxy water then Dip in cold water to set the wax. Remove the wax.

You’ll get an incredible amount of fat from a goose this way. Follow Hank Shaw’s recipe exactly for roasted goose and have some jars on hand to store the fat from the pan. Sweet potatoes roasted in goose fat will change your life.

gadrahthaar

Pluck the feathers, leaving only down.
Dip in hot waxy water then Dip in cold water to set the wax. Remove the wax.

You’ll get an incredible amount of fat from a goose this way. Follow Hank Shaw’s recipe exactly for roasted goose and have some jars on hand to store the fat from the pan. Sweet potatoes roasted in goose fat will change your life.
i concur. stand at the alter of duck fat