Gore-tex rain gear

Rick L

FNG
It's well known knowledge that breathable rain gear will eventually "wetout" if used in extreame wet conditions and situations. I have several gore-tex products that I've been pretty happy with but I constantly worry about it failing at the most inconvenient time. This has caused me to consider switching to HH or grundens. I have breathable goretex waders that I can stand in rivers fishing for hours and days and never "wetout". If Gore-tex can stand up to being submerged in a fast flowing river for hours without "wetting out" how can any sort of rain/wind storm penetrate gore-tex fabric? Is it a different fabric? Seams not sealed as tight? What gives?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I 'believe' those are different materials. Wader material is submerged in water which is very thermally conductive. If the same materials were used for a jacket I would imagine it would be very warm and not allow for breath ability. But that is all best guess work on my part.

Benjblt

WKR
It's well known knowledge that breathable rain gear will eventually "wetout" if used in extreame wet conditions and situations. I have several gore-tex products that I've been pretty happy with but I constantly worry about it failing at the most inconvenient time. This has caused me to consider switching to HH or grundens. I have breathable goretex waders that I can stand in rivers fishing for hours and days and never "wetout". If Gore-tex can stand up to being submerged in a fast flowing river for hours without "wetting out" how can any sort of rain/wind storm penetrate gore-tex fabric? Is it a different fabric? Seams not sealed as tight? What gives?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
So I'm no expert but I have listened to some "experts" speak on the matter. What does "wetout" mean and what are the implications. Well what I think it means is the outer fabric (not the waterproof layer), well, wets out. It gets saturated. At that point you aren't getting any leaks but you you might feel "clammy". What does that mean. Well it means your own moisture can't escape and its building up on the inside because it can't escape the outer fabric as much. Your waterproofing layer is not breathing. From what I've heard the "experts" say, it takes quite a bit of head of pressure to push the moisture from the outside in. I'm not sure I believe them. I too have got wet on the inside when wearing breathable/"waterproof" membranes and I'm pretty sure it wasn't from sweat or body moisture. So I have a similar question, how am I experiencing moisture on the inside?

Also, it's improtant to note that I've heard the "experts" say that the garment should still perform if it wets out, and even breathe. . just not as well.

I've thought about getting HH and Grundens as well. We used to use Grundens in Western Oregon during the rainy season and it worked pretty well.

I used a Simms guide jacket (3 layer goretex) for a full summer in Alaska. It rained almost every day, and I never had any issue with it. I really don’t get the drama. If it rains hard enough you’re gonna feel uncomfortable in any rain gear. But a well made jacket that happens to be goretex is fine.

Kronos

FNG
Goretex is still waterproof when it wets out, but when it does wet out it performs like non-breathable rain gear.

LandYacht

WKR
I too have got wet on the inside when wearing breathable/"waterproof" membranes and I'm pretty sure it wasn't from sweat or body moisture. So I have a similar question, how am I experiencing moisture on the inside?.

Your body is an evaporative machine. Sweat is only visual confirmation of all the moisture your body is continually expelling. 300-400 ml a day just through your skin and the same amount through your breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR
Your body is an evaporative machine. Sweat is only visual confirmation of all the moisture your body is continually expelling. 300-400 ml a day just through your skin and the same amount through your breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure. That why when you get into your vehicle after working out hard, and if its a cold day, your windows fog up immediately. Maybe that's all it ever is when your jacket wets out.

I think Benjblt nailed it. In my opinion, if you were just sitting on a ridge glassing for hours in a rain/snow storm, your rain gear would keep you perfectly dry for as long as you were willing to sit there. But, the minute you get up and start exerting yourself while wearing that same gear, your body will begin creating moisture at a rate that will quickly exceed the "breathability" of the material to allow that moisture to pass through and evaporate, which will eventually result in your gear experiencing "wet out".

I have been using Brownings Hells Canyon Gore Tex jacket and pants and have not had problems with wetting out. Their material is a little heavier but wears well.

JMDavies

WKR
I talked to a Goretex rep about this issue a number of years ago. He explained that water and vapor have different abilities to pass through fabrics. He went on to say to think of Goretex as billions of cones all facing the same direction with the narrow end of the cone on the exterior side of the fabric and the wider end of the cone towards your body. The holes on the narrow end are too small to let water in while the wider side is big enough to let vapor out. He then explained that when the fabric gets dirty it clogs the pores causing the dirt to wick the moisture in either direction. He recommended washing the gear more often.