Gore Tex vs HDry

LanceM

FNG
Never had good experience with GoreTex LONG TERM in boots. I've been eyeballing Scarpa boots with HDry instead of GoreTex. Does anyone have any field experience with HDry? Especially longer term? I'm reluctant to fork out good money on another pair with GoreTex when other technologies seem to be catching up.

Speaking of Scarpa, I'm looking for a model that isn't terribly stiff like a mountaineering boot. The boot will also be used in the midwest, Colorado Flat Tops, etc. where stiffness isn't critical. If anyone has suggestions there, I'm all ears. Considering the KUIU branded R-Evolution or Rebel (only say the KUIU model because they have Hdry instead of GoreTex).

Thanks

TheCoyote

FNG
I have the same exact question as Lance here. I have a Kuiu coupon and I have been eying the R-Evolutions but I have been holding off due to the lack of GoreTex.

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same exact question as Lance here. I have a Kuiu coupon and I have been eying the R-Evolutions but I have been holding off due to the lack of GoreTex.
Why? Very easy to find complaints about leaking GoreTex, haven't seen any reviews about leaking HDry/OutDry yet. I have the R-Evolutions, ordered one full size up and changed insole to superfeet guide, haven't got them wet yet but like them so far.

Last edited:

TheCoyote

FNG
Why? Very easy to find complaints about leaking GoreTex, haven't seen any reviews about leaking HDry/OutDry yet. I have the R-Evolutions, ordered one full size up and changed insole to superfeet guide, haven't got them wet yet but like them so far.
I guess that the why is because GoreTex has been around for decades. And for every 1 complaint about leaky GoreTex there are thousands and thousands of satisfied users. I am all for a less expensive alternative from a competitor. As long as it performs just as well.
Hey- I eat Great Value sandwich cookies, not Oreos!

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t had any water issues with my Scarpa Ribelle HDs. They were used in a mix of snow and rain this past season.

Msr2017

FNG
I’ve worn a goretex Matterhorn military jump combat boot ever since i got out of school, I’ve used them hunting, mining on the farm any kinda weather conditions, Mud, Snow, didn’t overly like the manure on the farm, rots the stitching. and they are the best boot I’ve ever owned and stood up to what ever I’ve thrown at them once they are broke in they’re just like wearing slippers or a good pair of cowboy boots!

Spoonman

WKR
Hdry is so much better in my opinion. It’s welded to the boot instead of a goretex booty that’s loose in between the inner and outer shell which create weak spots. I dm’d you LanceM. My Scarpa Ribella’s are way better than any boot I’ve ever had. Just my experience though, I’m sure there are boots out there that are as waterproof and well build I just haven’t found them yet. Hdry on the left and Gotetex on the right.

Attachments

• C591FCC3-4F88-46F0-9561-E1076C15DF1C.jpeg
    C591FCC3-4F88-46F0-9561-E1076C15DF1C.jpeg
    428.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: