Goretex boots

Shrek

WKR
I just finished a 8 mile hike and have a few thoughts. I have bought goretex boots for the last 20? years and not thought about it much. A few weeks ago I bought some Hanwag Yukons without goretex.I'm well over 50 miles now and they are the best boots I have ever owned.
Like I said I just finished 8 miles and it was about 70* and I sweat a lot. I forgot my good wool hiking socks and just had some old , cheap , cotton socks with me. With my old goretex boots my feet would have been prunes and I could have wrung sweat out of them. Not today , feet stayed dry and comfortable despite the cheap thin socks. I grew up with full leather boots you had to keep treated to keep them waterproof. When goretex came out I thought "great , I don't have to keep treating my boots" and started using goretex. I didn't put much thought into boots since. Now , I'm done with goretex for most things. These leather boots have opened my eyes to the fact that goretex just doesn't breath all that well and I'm going back to the future with all leather boots and wool cloths. Am I the only one who has had a bad experience with goretex ? I'm going to start paying attention to my jackets and pants next and look for other options that might work better. Anybody have any thoughts to add?

Last edited:
OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
No , I don't know how to start a thread with tapatalk and can't write more than about where I got when I use the site before my tablet hangs ups since the site reboot.