Goretex Rain Jacket

Bambistew

WKR
I'm looking for a new rain jacket for the wife. I'm perplexed as to why goretex jackets range in price from $100-700 if they are all guaranteed to keep you dry. What does that extra $600 get me?

Brendan

WKR
I've had cheap ones, and expensive but lightweight ones blow out the seams and fail almost immediately. I've had (non-goretex) "waterproof" jackets that leaked immediately with pressure from pack shoulder straps, or brush. The bomb-proof 3 layer pro-shell jackets are going to be much more durable, at the expense of heavier and not as breathable.

Also - gore-tex has multiple laminate / fabric types.

$700 for a jacket seems ridiculous to me. Maybe it makes sense to a mountaineer climbing K2 but not for most of us. I bought a Patagonia Rain Shadow (I think that's the model) jacket 15 years ago for $150 and it's still going strong after plenty of use and a few patches where I tore it. For a rain jacket I don't think I can't really ask for anything else.

First ask yourself what you need the jacket for. Walking around town, for the just in case rain on a backpack trip or bushwhacking western Washington in November will lead you to different results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a Marmot Minimalist goretex jacket for $120 in sale. Solid color in green. Have been very happy with it. You will pay a lot more for camo goretex.

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
I've had cheap ones, and expensive but lightweight ones blow out the seams and fail almost immediately. I've had (non-goretex) "waterproof" jackets that leaked immediately with pressure from pack shoulder straps, or brush. The bomb-proof 3 layer pro-shell jackets are going to be much more durable, at the expense of heavier and not as breathable.

Also - gore-tex has multiple laminate / fabric types.

What he said. There are so many variables to Gore-Tex materials, layers and types.

You pay more for durability at the end of the day. Although, you also pay more for the newest tech. The Sitka Vapor is $300 bucks and its an extremely light weight 1 layer Gore-Tex but the latest technology.

Michael54

WKR
What he said. There are so many variables to Gore-Tex materials, layers and types.

You pay more for durability at the end of the day. Although, you also pay more for the newest tech. The Sitka Vapor is $300 bucks and its an extremely light weight 1 layer Gore-Tex but the latest technology.
The sitka vapor is $300 because sitka fanatics will pay it.

I think you pay a lot for certain brands, lighter weight or the latest tech.

a military ECWCS jacket is a hell of an option that will last for years. you find a surplus one in ACU pattern for $100 but Multicam will cost you 2-3x.

I have had some cheaper rain gear fail me so the current set (Sitka) was a bit of an investment that I would expect to last for years.

one last thought, a lot of people have moved away from heavy goretex jackets for all but the wettest hunts. I stay pretty comfortable and dry in a softshell and keep a packable jacket in my pack for heavy rain. That combo suits me well for all but heavy or prolonged rain. I wouldnt run it in Alaska or the PNW but for where i hunt and hike it is fine.

22lr

WKR
I use the ECWCS system since I have about 4 full sets at this point in woodland, ABU and now OCP... I find it super effective when coupled with a waterproof spray treatment once per season. If you dont treat it, they can soak through after a few hours. Not a big deal for light rain, a much bigger deal in places like Alaska where it can rain forever. They are also very durable and capable of standing up to busting brush without worry. They are not worth $300 a piece, but surplus in the under $100 range they are rockstars, if you treat them and take care to follow the laundry directions.

My Sitka jackets just hold up a whole lot better. A cheaper jacket will wear a whole lot faster especially if you're wearing a backpack. I don't think you need to go super expensive, but that really just depends on what you expect to find yourself in. For my wife I just got her an REI gortex and it's worked great for every rainy hike we've been on. But I wouldn't trust it past the main hunting brands if your hunting or need something for the Sept - Nov timeframe.