Goruck Challenge

crumy

WKR
Rosinbag... I am doing a Challenge in May 9. Thank you for your summary of what you did. It sounds a little worse than I thought it would be but here is hoping that I am too stubborn to know I shouldn't be doing this. I have a couple of questions for you. I am going to use a spike camp bag for this since it has a belt. Thinking this will help with fatigue... Also thinking about using sand so that I can form it to be flatter and control where the majority of the weight is... Is this a good or bad idea? Should I just go with bricks.

We start at 9 pm so I figure it will be 9 or 10 am when done. Was going to put on hiking boots but thinking that might not be a good idea with all the leg flutters I read about from you and other places. What did you wear?

Any other advice besides stay at home and drink a beer?

Poser

WKR
I've heard of these, but never looked them up. Looks like there is an event in my city next Friday -wish I had known about it earlier as I'd give it a try. Maybe next year.

Question: Would using a framed pack for this event get in your way as far as the PT challenges?

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
Hey crumy just saw that your doing goruck today so hope you see this before you leave. Spike camp pack will work perfect. I did goruck in Portland about a year and a half ago and used my spike camp. I wore minimal running shoes and my feet were a little sore after but not too bad. If I do another one I'd wear a light hiker instead. Have fun and good luck. You should have fun.
Colby

crumy

WKR
I was thinking of wearing Merrill Moab hikers or my old nike running shoes. Been training pretty good carrying heavy in my bikini/dt1. And doing 50 in the spike. Going sandbag and putting it in the water bladder pocket to keep it tight. Should be fun. But going to start raining. Today. And I think they mean RAIN. WIll report back in when/if I can move. I will only talk about rokslide if I make it. Can not bring shame to the family. Lol.

crumy

WKR
Poser. I was thinking if using my dt1 but was worried about the fact I would most likely be carrying someone or something on my shoulders. That is why I am not going to use it

crumy

WKR
Ok.. I technically not dead. Although I think most places will induce a coma when you are in the amount of pain I am in. I think it even hurts to blink. There were 44 people that showed up. We finished with 40. We were in this "challenge" for 13 hours and 15 min. 9 pm - 10:15 am.. I think it was between 5 am - 6 am (beccause of the morning light) the sky opened up. Rain, ran, and more rain. The leaders (cadre) liked to inform us that "if it ain't raining, it ain't training". I won't go into as an extensive wrie up as before unless people want it. But here are some quick thoughts.

Spike camp worked flawlesly
We had to carry a 1/2 ammo cans. (filled with sand) It was a buddy carry, but after my 3rd rotation, I was like, put that thing on top of my pack.. They looked at me like I was crazy. Two guys put it and I walked with it there while my buddy held one handle to keep it stable and I had the other... I walked with that there for a very long time. Way easier than carrying.
I learned that the buddy carry sucks if you are the buddy being carried... I think I actually popped a floater rib or something when he "adjusted" me on his shoulders by bouncing me... That happened 1/2 hour into the challenge. It made low crawls fun.
Started out with an hour, maybe two of the "Welcome Party" We lost our shoes for the entire thing... So did, bear crawls, buddy bear crawls, crab craws, sprint and dives into a low crawl, jogging, flutter kicks. (that rest position is no freaking "rest" position), down dollys or something... pushups... lots of pushups... crawled, rolled, and stood in a fountain.
Had to move a tree. Construction going on and they are pulling tress along river. This was about 12 ft long, easily 18 inches across, WITH the root ball that was pulled out... so dirt, mud and roots sticking everywhere. luckily had been de-limbed. So front was picked up and we pushed and pulled(with webbing) on the root. Moved it about 100-150 yards. and disposed of it.
Then the hiking started...To me the easy part. Took turns carrying 100 lb ammo cans, 25 lb team weight, 40, 60, 80 lb sandbags and two concrete parking lot curbs we "found" along the way. This was the easy part to me. The PT SUCKED. I learned that hiking and running versus being in overall PT style shape are two VERY different things.
They split the teams up into two ( 20 each.. We had lost people early) and we did a relay race using the 100 lb ammo cans. two guys carried them around the Ohio State football stadium ("The Shoe) and handed off after 1 full lap... That is just under a mile around... Winning team got to drop their parking meter... Which really benefited the entire team.
We had "casualties" I was 200 even the morning of the event and only a few "big" guys here... So they did a three man carry on me for about 2 miles...(SUCKS being carried) I would rather carry.
They took our straps at one point.. Meaning no shoulder straps allowed.. Thank GOD for the waistbelt.. Most people didn't have one.
Then at end, more pushups then we we sat with eyes closed in a squat position for what seemed like forever.... they tapped the newbies first and they gave us our patch for completing..

Final thoughts

I realize this may seem like nothing to some guys here, especially the military guys. But it kicked my arse. Luckily I am too stubborn to quit.
13 hours of straight exercise and hiking is probably something many have done when their lives depended upon it and you guys kick ass.. I would take my hat off to you but I can't lift my arms.
Every muscle in my body hurts. I think it even hurts to blink
I was up for 31 hours straight by time I got home, showered an fell into bed. Woke up after 5 hours of sleep. I think because my body hurts.
After a while, it became a matter of pride and you just put the suck out of your mind and didn't notice the pain.. The rain was a nice distraction believe it or not.

Would I do it again? Maybe with a group of guys I know just because. But after some training.. I only had a month notice on this and I was not where I needed to be PT wise.

I think I would rather sleep in grizzly country and haul out elk

Overall.. I am glad I did it. With DID being the key word....

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
Nicely done Crumy! I'm even more nervous now for Goruck Heavy in June!

crumy

WKR
Good luck on it. I just focused on. "These flutter kicks can't last forever."

:)

Last edited:

Ironman8

WKR
Crumy (or anyone who's done this), what kind of shoes would you recommend for this? I've got a Light I'm going to do in July and most likely a Challenge later in the year.

ETA: congrats on finishing Crumy

Last edited:

crumy

WKR
I wore a pair of older nike running shoes with superfeet insoles. Did good. Would probably do again with same shoes. We didn't get in mud on ours. Mine just wet. Thought about merril hikers but was afraid I would destroy.