Got A Good .308 Load for Deer?

Crusader

WKR
Hey guys. I've got a .308 load I like for elk using a 168 Barnes TSX but I think that's overkill and an unnecessarily costly bullet to use for whitetails. Bro-in-law just got a .308 for deer so I thought I might look into developing a load for he and I. I'm thinking of using just a basic soft point in 150 grain (or maybe 130). Do any of you guys have a nice, accurate load in that bullet weight range?

Thanks in advance!

N2TRKYS

WKR
Why did you go so heavy with your Barnes bullet?

Nosler Trophy Grade 165 grain Accubonds shoot so well in mine, I'm not in a hurry to reload for it. That's my deer and elk load.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
Just wanted heavier for more mass. I know the performance characteristics of the Barnes bullets including the excellent expansion and stuff, I just like heavy for bigger game. I haven't noticed a downside. But being a cheapskate, figured I'd go with a non-premium, inexpensive bullet for whitetails.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Just wanted heavier for more mass. I know the performance characteristics of the Barnes bullets including the excellent expansion and stuff, I just like heavy for bigger game. I haven't noticed a downside. But being a cheapskate, figured I'd go with a non-premium, inexpensive bullet for whitetails.

Shootersproshop has Nosler bullets for real cheap. I don't buy anywhere else. They don't have the same stuff all the time, so you have to keep checking. Totally worth your time, though.

if I was culling deer inside of 250 yards in great numbers I’d run a 150gr sst and h4895

like peanut butter and jelly on toast.

Reactions: FLS

JFK

WKR
If target shooting I might understand a guy trying to save money on bullets. Hunting though? Barnes are like 75 cents a piece.....meaning you’d have to be hunting A LOT to start noticing the cost of your bullets. Think of all the other expenses that go into into hunting....drawing tags, rifles, optics, boots, packs, gas to get where you’re going. Then ask yourself if skimping on bullets is worth it.

Hmr

Lil-Rokslider
What do you think of the 165 grain for deer ?
Been using 165 gr Nosler ballistic tip hand loads for the .308 on deer for years. I’ve had devastating performance from these on deer exceeding results from 300 win mag deer kills I’ve seen.

What do you think of the 165 grain for deer ?

no experience with it.

tI’m more then a little comfortable shooting the biggest mule deer with 77gr tmk. Can’t imagine a 165bouncing off.

bullets in the lungs kill stuff

that said the 150gr sst is such a known entity in this regards I’d personally need to be stretching distance beyond 300 regularly to even begin to think of a switch when wielding a 308 for deer.

FLS

WKR
43.5 of 8208 under a 165 Sierra lit by a Federal 210 gives me 2650 out of an 18.5” Model Seven. Same load works well with a Partition or AccuBond

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
I think it would be harder to find a .308 diameter 150 grain soft point that wasn't suited to Whitetails from a .308 Winchester than finding a good load would be. I always had good luck with Winchester powerpoints chased by enough w748 to hit 2700fps or so, but Hornady interlock, Remington CoreLockt, PPU soft points, Speer, Sierra, Nosler etc (If I missed your favorite I apologize) almost every bullet maker offering a cup and core bullet makes a 150 grain Soft point suitable for killing whitetail deer at traditional ranges (400 yard and closer)