Got an Elk...!

OP
C

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
Glad you found him. Congrats! No surprise on the arrow trajectory. Study the shape of the ribs. On a quartering too shot, it’s quite normal for that arrow to do what it did if you hit the front side of the rib on entry.
I am almost certain he was perfectly broadside maybe tiny bit(5 degrees towards).... regardless the shot had perfect height( just needed 6" forward), just didnt follow through? peeked ?...I dont know, but I will definitely be working alot more on my shooting before next season.

Also need a passthrough so will be working on strength nand condition to get back to 70 lbs and use better penetrating broadhead as well....

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe check the arrow tune as well if it penetrated at an angle.

Either way congrats, high five on what sounds like a kick ass tracking job and best of luck the rest of the season if you have any other tags or plan on chasing birds.

OP
C

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe check the arrow tune as well if it penetrated at an angle.

Either way congrats, high five on what sounds like a kick ass tracking job and best of luck the rest of the season if you have any other tags or plan on chasing birds.

I can hunt Archery Moose on Sept. 15th.

Rifle, C.B, M.L, Archery is open in my home zone from Sept.1-Nov.30 for moose.(which is probably why Moose pop. is low???)

Have Bear tag, 2nd one also available....

Drawn for Mule Deer as well.

No I am pretty well tuned.

I always bareshaft tune my setups to 20 yards.

I simply made a bad shot....(why do right handed archers miss left? lol)

Broadheads/FPs
group well, even Stryker Mags which are huge fixed head.

This is broadhead, F.P and bareshaft at 20 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_20210802_091551.jpg
    IMG_20210802_091551.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 22

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I can hunt Archery Moose on Sept. 15th.

Rifle, C.B, M.L, Archery is open in my home zone from Sept.1-Nov.30 for moose.(which is probably why Moose pop. is low???)

Have Bear tag, 2nd one also available....

Drawn for Mule Deer as well.

No I am pretty well tuned.

I always bareshaft tune my setups to 20 yards.

I simply made a bad shot....(why do right handed archers miss left? lol)

Broadheads/FPs
group well, even Stryker Mags which are huge fixed head.

This is broadhead, F.P and bareshaft at 20 yards.
Nice, sounds like you have a full fall.

Shoot, yeah that just happens sometimes. At least bad was still good enough.

Arrowed a 5x5 Friday afternoon. He caught me by surprise as I was watching a herd bull with cows.

I cow called a few times towards herd bull and he came out bush at 40 yards.

Let out a short moan/Bugle and I got off a poor shot at 40 yards.

He was broadside ( or maybe turned 10 degrees towards)I clipped back part of 1 lung and liver.

Arrow had to have deflected off rib and turned about 30 degrees and went just infront of his flank.... no passthrew.

He went about 250-300 yards.

Was a miracle I found him in 10ft high hazel.

The blood trail was really good at times and I was 100% sure as it was liver shot because the blood was dark red.

I arrowed a Moose in liver once and he died in 75 yards, so I was amazed/horrified how this animal could bleed so much and make it that far.

He crossed 1 creek and 2 beaver runs which made tracking that much harder and kept changing course it seemed.

It literally thunder showered on me while I was dressing him and made for a long cold walk back to quad and long ride back to camp.

Didnt really have time for autopsy and pictures.

He may have lurched and turned at the shot as well ....20 years ago I would have center punched the lungs all day long at 40 yards but lately I let up on my archery practice, so I have to get back into prime shooting form, also doesnt help my left shoulder has weakened over the years(,50 years old soon) .

I have seen videos stating arrows can do weird things???

Shooting a 65lb Stevens Prevailer 29" draw and was surprised the arrow never made it through.

Arrow is a Axis ,300, aluminium footer and around around 14% foc. 495 grains.

G5 Stryker Mag 125gr, 1.5" cut. The blade angle on these is quite steep, It looked like 1 blade hit rib and other 2 missed ribs.

So my goal for next year is get back into top form....and get back to 70lb bow.

Never want to repeat that experience!

Gotta center punch those lungs....
Congrats!

Way to stick with it. Sometimes it’s not much fun after the shot with regards to tracking, dressing, and packing out.

MJB

WKR
Well done!

Tracking elk is a pita they change direction all the time and makes no sense. But most of the time they go for thick if they can.