Got bit

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Rottweiler puppy that was 3 months old, he was fast asleep one day and I went to pick him up and he started growling and trying to bite me. I grabbed him by his collar, dragged him out to the back room where he slept at night all the time in a loud voice yelling at him. I dragged him to his dog bed and stood over him, pointing at him and repeating BAD, loud.

He was scared !! The next day I waited until he went to sleep and went over and picked him up, he opened up his eyes and just looked at me. Never ever growled at me or tried to bite me again over the next 12 1/2 years he was alive. Great dog. I have a male black lab right now that has never got stupid….he could train me.
Obviously you’ve never heard the saying....”Leave a sleeping dog lie.”
Quote: “he was fast asleep one day....”
Did u ever stop to think he was in the middle of a dream where he was about to put the chomp on a ten foot griz that was just an inch away from making a snack out of his Master? Sheese!
I hope no one follows this poster’s advice!
There’s a reason for old standby sayings.

Yeah. Go to town with an open hand with full force is cool. Won't fracture he's skull but could cause other issues. A dog understands dominance. You understand physical violence. Not the same things. May have worked for you but doesn't make it the right way to do it.
I’m speaking towards sporting dog breeds. As a whole they are not skittish and will not become timid from a beating so long as they understand what it was for.

You don’t hit a dog out of frustration when it’s not doing what you want. You don’t hit a a dog for peeing in the house 3 hours after it happened and you came home and found it. You don’t hit a dog for whining/being scared of something. You do it immediately when they are flat out disobedient or challenging/aggressive.

You might think it’s “more than necessary“ but I’m talking about a situation where you’re giving the dog ONE chance to remain here on earth. Overdo it, don’t underdo it. I’ve treated my dog that way 2-3 times in his 14 year life, one of them absolutely saved him from dying.

Was running him in the woods, he wouldn’t listen at all. Grabbed him and was about to smack him 2-3 times like I typically do for a firm correction, he rolled on his back and pit his ears back like “sorry, I was distracted, I get it and will listen”, so I let him off. Five minutes later, not listening again, I grabbed him a took a stick to him. Five minutes after that he’ swimming in the river when a 6’ gator cruises right up to him and starts doing a circle around him. Called him, and he trucked it straight towards me at warp speed. I’m convinced he’d have been eaten if he didn’t listen.

Some breeds cannot handle it, many of the cur/hound types are softer and get their feelings hurt. Give me a smart and tough dog any day and he will be a rockstar if you are firm and consistent with him.

To the OP, stuff like “he‘s only allowed in our bed occasionally“ is part of the problem. Consistency is everything with smart, stubborn dogs, they will push the limits every time.

I’d go back and work on basic obedience with him. If he’s next to you and you open the door to your house, does he run in? He shouldn’t until you tell him to. Same for dropping the tailgate on your truck. Same for eating when his food bowl is set in front of him.

*zap*

WKR
Really good e collar training goes a long way. My Pudelpointer was aggressive with my wife when she would walk her alone on a leash when she was 5 or 6 months old trying to grab her arm etc. She got a little better about it but she still couldn’t deal with her very well by herself. Around this time we sent her to a gundog trainer for a couple months who Specializes in e collar training for force fetch, whoa, etc... I went and trained with the dog occasionally to learn what she learned and how to train with the e collar.
5 years later she’s never shown any signs of aggression or tried to be dominant with anyone with or without her collar on. You can take anything right out of her mouth, food whatever. The nice thing about this training is she doesn’t flinch if you raise your arm because she thinks she’s getting beaten, and isn’t afraid of anything or anyone but always knows her place among people. Another bonus is that the training is easily applied to any situation that needs correction like getting on the kitchen counter or barking.
e-collar is a very good way to go and the old school tri-tronics three action introduction would be the best way to start to use one...done correctly the on leash obedience transfers to off leash very smoothly.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always had shorthairs I will take there bone from them and put my hand in their food when they are young so they know who’s in charge. Idk if it works however I’ve never had one bite me nor have I ever had one with a food aggression or toy. I can put the rest of my salad down and my male and female will eat it togheter with out getting shitty.

I’ve always heard wire haired could be nasty but I have never owned one so I can’t comment but it’s something that has kept me buying shorthairs. On the flip side though the best trained dog I ever saw was a wire haired pointer

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have had seven dogs, mostly GSP's. Never had a bitting issue but, I had one give me a low growl one time when I got down and mouthed a Nyla bone he was working on, which I have done a lot just to see how they react. Well when he growled, I grabbed him by both sides of his neck and gave him a stern , NO and pushed his head back. Never did it again. I never hit my dogs, they will only be afraid of you and will cower when you approach them if hitting is frequent. You want your dogs to look at you as the Alfa pack leader but not be afraid of you. Make them understand with firm commands. Most dogs will get it.

Trial153

WKR
First thing I would do is shit can this tread, there is some horrible freaking advise in it as well being slathered with a healthy portion of antidotal bullshit. Took me a long time to learn you can’t make a hound good but you sure can ruin a good one.
Go research some professional sources that have experience dealing with possession aggression.

Looks like you have a lot of information to take in already. Biggest thing I can say is that when you have an aggressive dog with certain situations, try not to put that dog into situations where this will happen. Especially when others are around. Then like many said repetition and timing for the correction is key.

2ski

WKR
I’m speaking towards sporting dog breeds. As a whole they are not skittish and will not become timid from a beating so long as they understand what it was for.

You don’t hit a dog out of frustration when it’s not doing what you want. You don’t hit a a dog for peeing in the house 3 hours after it happened and you came home and found it. You don’t hit a dog for whining/being scared of something. You do it immediately when they are flat out disobedient or challenging/aggressive.

You might think it’s “more than necessary“ but I’m talking about a situation where you’re giving the dog ONE chance to remain here on earth. Overdo it, don’t underdo it. I’ve treated my dog that way 2-3 times in his 14 year life, one of them absolutely saved him from dying.

Was running him in the woods, he wouldn’t listen at all. Grabbed him and was about to smack him 2-3 times like I typically do for a firm correction, he rolled on his back and pit his ears back like “sorry, I was distracted, I get it and will listen”, so I let him off. Five minutes later, not listening again, I grabbed him a took a stick to him. Five minutes after that he’ swimming in the river when a 6’ gator cruises right up to him and starts doing a circle around him. Called him, and he trucked it straight towards me at warp speed. I’m convinced he’d have been eaten if he didn’t listen.

Some breeds cannot handle it, many of the cur/hound types are softer and get their feelings hurt. Give me a smart and tough dog any day and he will be a rockstar if you are firm and consistent with him.
I had a post typed up but I'll just say merry Christmas. I'll revisit this.....this...well I'll revisit this later.

mwebs

WKR
Some bad advice on here but dog should always know who’s in charge whether your training or just messing around with toys in the house.

Thread also just reinforces the fact that I will never get a bird dog other than a lab. Just makes zero sense unless your trying to be different for the sake of being different.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You don't hit dogs., any more than you would hit your own kid. I'm talking hard hits not a little tap on the butt. You don't hit/beat dogs.

2ski

WKR
:ROFLMAO: You do you bud. Merry Christmas
I think we've reached the point in this thread where everyone has figured out what kind of dog owner you are. People have said without replying directly to your posts.

Happy new year. That concealer you got your wife was a great idea!

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
Some bad advice on here but dog should always know who’s in charge whether your training or just messing around with toys in the house.

Thread also just reinforces the fact that I will never get a bird dog other than a lab. Just makes zero sense unless your trying to be different for the sake of being different.
Can your bird dog ‘point’?

I have no experience with the breed but people directed aggression is not something to tolerate in any breed. I, like some others, do a lot of pinning on the back into a submissive position until they somewhat relax. I might smack their nose just a little to get attention if they continue to direct aggression. I've only ever had one dog I had a people aggression issue with more than once and he ended up getting put down because I couldn't change him. I'd also say even if it trains out of him I would never ever breed a dog that ever bit a person.

I'm quite positive I'll get a lot of flack for this but Ceasar Milan's philosophy on dominance/pack leader had a big impact on how I treat my dogs and how they view me. Just little things like they will not jump on me, they will not take anything from me, they will not blow by me to run out a door, if they're in my way when I'm walking they will move out of my way. None of those scenarios require violence to train into them, just repitition, and it really changes their mindset.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of labs point. Not my thing if wanted a pointer I would buy one but I’ve watch some apla events they are pretty impressive.
Yes, plenty of labs point. That’s why I asked u if your’s points.
My point was... if a fellow has a dog w a good nose that points, flushes (if/when u want him to), then retrieves, .... well, you’ve got something pretty good there.

KurtR

WKR
Yes, plenty of labs point. That’s why I asked u if your’s points.
My point was... if a fellow has a dog w a good nose that points, flushes (if/when u want him to), then retrieves, .... well, you’ve got something pretty good there.
Didn’t ask me I was just saying. Pointing is not what we are after I want a grand hunting retriever champion