Got lucky in the Expo draw

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
So I got lucky and drew a Wasatch mid any weapons Elk tag. I'm just starting to gather so info about this hunt ! I'm looking for information about weather ( October 9-21) , amount of people, road / trail condition?
And possibly Guides and Outfitters

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
They've really made an effort to knock elk numbers down on the unit over the last 5 years or so. They continue to issue a bunch of tags for elk there. Can also be frustrating with the amount of people recreating up there with covid last was insane up there and not just on weekends. Weather can run the gamit of hot and dry (last year great example)to piles of snow early October (2018) across Utah weather has been unpredictable with this drought. All that said it'll be fun hunt if your interested in harvesting a "good" bull.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Swift

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah everywhere I hunted last year was NUTS with people! I don't have any real expectations of the unit .

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah everywhere I hunted last year was NUTS with people! I don't have any real expectations of the unit .
Oh sorry I didn't notice this was a mid season tag. Down side is this is during the general spike elk season so they'll be tons of hunters out. Plus side is numbers will keep the elk moving so anything can happen. Also letting people know you have a big bull tag can be pretty productive as typically most everyone will share where they've seen a good bull.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I've been fortunate enough to spend a lot of time in the Wasatch both hunting and helping. If you would like to visit contact me.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
The Wasatch is a huge unit with a lot of elk. It’s not managed for premium status but the sheer numbers of elk and area help the unit turn out some great bulls every year.

DIY with no knowledge of the unit I would not be passing any 270-300 class bull. The mid season hunt is during the general elk season which will see tons of pressure from spike and cow hunters.

Hunt them like you would anywhere else experiencing tons of pressure. The steeper and tougher the area the better.

There are tons of places to camp but tons of camps to fill those spots too. Lots of ATV type roads and vehicle access.

If you’re looking for a guided hunt I would look at Strawberry bay outfitters. They do really well year in and year out.

So I got lucky and drew a Wasatch mid any weapons Elk tag. I'm just starting to gather so info about this hunt ! I'm looking for information about weather ( October 9-21) , amount of people, road / trail condition?
And possibly Guides and Outfitters
Congrats on the draw,. I lucked out and drew the Muzzleloader hunt for the same unit.