Got My First Antelope

Calbuck

WKR
Drew as an alternate with about 3 weeks to prepare. Knew where I was gonna start my hunt from being there for other species..had seen antelope in there before. First weekend confirmed my hunch and I had a few chances but didn't harvest. Came back 10 days later for closing weekend and BAM! right back in the lopes. Chased prob 10-12 different bucks around and shot at and missed one my heart wasn't really set on. Did I mention how hot it was out there? HOT! Friday rolled around and I was getting tired of the heat and dust, so decided today is the day. Immediately in the morning, we were looking at some of the younger bucks in the area. PASS. PASS. Moved a few miles west and found some new groups. First group had a great buck bedded that I didn't see until he was up and moving..behind the hill! I hurried out to get a look over the hill and he was already 3 miles away and running hard. No wonder he was a nice one! A bit dejected, I walked back to the side x side and had a shot of water. Pondering my situation, I scanned the surrounding landscape slowly, thinking "what should I do now"? My antelope eye being finely tuned, I spotted a small herd grazing on a hillside 2000 yards away (several miles by road). My hunting partner (Dad) and I made a plan and decided to drive around as these guys were not in a place to stalk from this location. We headed on around, having been on those hilltops before and very familiar with the terrain. I had put the spotting scope on the buck in the group. He wasn't anywhere near as nice as the one I'd just jumped, but he wasn't terrible either. We headed on around, and reached the ridge where the lopes were. We figured about a mile and a half to where we'd seen them, and slowly headed up the ridge. Not 100 yards in, there were antelope to the left, about 220 yards out..there's a nice buck in the group aaaanndd he's gone over the ridge! His does stood stock still, glaring at us and I'm telling my dad we gotta get around the hill..suddenly, here comes the buck trotting back directly at us! He challenged me for his does, and it turned out to be his demise! Awesome hunt, had a great time and thankful for the antelope buck I harvested!

Attachments

• 60FB3CD6-0C76-44B4-8AE3-D8531755264B.jpeg
    60FB3CD6-0C76-44B4-8AE3-D8531755264B.jpeg
    655.9 KB · Views: 353
  • F456924B-E243-471E-9668-F1DFC832A73E.jpeg
    F456924B-E243-471E-9668-F1DFC832A73E.jpeg
    706.1 KB · Views: 353