Got some cool video today

4rcgoat

WKR
That was some good video,kinda "blair witch" like at the end with the camera drop! Assuming you killed 1? Chomping at the bit to get up for some spot and stalk archery, looking for that same scenario. Thanks for sharing.

OP
Squamch

Squamch

WKR
That is sweet! Details? (Rifle/caliber, state/province, range, size/weight)

Here's the story

This morning I headed up island, my best friend since 6th grade, and his 4 year old son in their truck, me in mine. Dane and I have been buddies longer than we haven't. He was the codriver last season when I shot my cougar. The plan was to scout a camping spot, and maybe find a bear.

Interesting event number 1...a fancy chicken, in the bush.

20200418-070636.jpg

That was weird.

Carry on down the road to the spot, we were gonna go check on the "top of the world" campsite. Buuuut....before driving all the way up the hill, let's cruise the valley bottom. Spooked one bear off the road, but it was gone in a flash of shiny black fur. We got up to a spot where the road splits, one way goes back above the road we came in on, the other carries on out to the end of the cut. I've seen plenty of bear sign on both. So I offered Dane his choice, split up, go together, which way do you like?

He said he and the lad would take the cut road, I could take the double back road.

So we loaded packs, and off we went. I meandered up the slight hill before my road leveled off, and stopped at the top to feel good about life. Saw this little miss, and a friend in the Christmas trees, and was having a good look at them.

20200418-090405.jpg

I would move 10 yards, look at the Christmas trees again, move 10 yards, look for interesting things in the Christmas trees...all the while looking at fresh bear poop, thinking "big one, medium one, big one, medium one...if I see a bear, gotta make sure it's a big one, not a medium one!"

10 yards, look over the edge, look around...."Whoa! What's that?!" A puff of steam, and motion on the landing at the end of the road. Binos up...holy crap! It's a huge bear rolling around on the landing! HOLY CRAP! It's a huge bear WITH TWO HEADS!!!

This required a spotting scope, bears with two heads, even really big ones, are very rare!

So I dropped my pack, set up the spotter and had a good look. I sent Dane a text saying I had 2 good bears...but neither of us had reception. I spent the next 20 minutes or so, watching these two tussling. The wind was blowing out the valley, gentle, but full in my face. Perfect!

Eventually, they stood up, appeared to shake hands bear-fashion, and moved off the road. I abandoned my spotter and pack, and moved up to see if I could sort out where they had gone and what I ought to do next. Having advanced another 40 odd yards, the smaller of the two made his (her?) reappearance over the downhill bank. Slobbering and occasionally stopping for a mouthful of grass, it moved back out onto the landing, then the big fella came back out. The two nosed up to each other, did some grass munching, then some side stepping and head swinging....

Then back to fisticuffs, a little more seriously this round!

20200418-092424.jpg

He's taken top control!

Wait, no, he's free, they're back on their feet and swinging for the fences!

20200418-092635.jpg

Then again, the ref rang the bell, they split up, and went back to casual grass munching. The smaller one started to mosey, as only a bear can mosey, up the hill towards me. The big fella was in the uphill side ditch.

The closer bear was starting to get suspicious about the brown stump that had appeared on the road, and gave me a few hard looks, but I am a noted imitator of a bump on a log.

However, even the best will eventually get found out, once a bear gets close enough...

I'll let this video tell the rest of that.

Rifle- Remington 710 30-06 that dad gave me for my 16th birthday. Winchester 150gr ballistic Silvertips.
Range....archery range. 30 yards maybe? He was by the big stump on the left in the videos. Close!
Southern Vancouver island.
Weight...good question. I couldn't move him by myself easily.

Last edited: