Got the job done

yojo.3

FNG
Managed to get the job done on opening morning this year. Got out before first light and found my spot on the side of the hill. Started watching down the flats to the east of me normally where they come from. Noticed a few hunters to the north. After about a half hour after sunrise saw a doe being chased around by a small forkey buck. And he was being harassed by another forkey as well. Watched these 3 deer go back and forth across the top of thi hill across from me. Heard a gunshot from the guys to the north and a few moments later i see another buck wander on in. He didnt look like anything special but i couldnt take my eyes off the left side of his neck. Looked like he had gotten shot and there was blood on it. Figured if i get a shot ill take him. Never got a shot on him as he was too far out. Watched him head west, and once the rest of the deer nearby had all moved on, i picked up and headed west too. Kept running into the 2 small bucks and the doe still chasing eachother around. Figure dont spook them in case the one i was looking for was in the gulch below them. Snuck around looking for a little while. Came across a small group of trees and here stands a buck. Wind was in my face and he was facing away so might as well take a couple pictures of that for fun since he was so close to me. He was just standing there. Not moving, head half way down. Figured that was weird. Started to take my gun off my pack just in case and he turned around so i could see his left side. Sure enough. Bloody neck. Shoot off hand, bad hit, low and forward. He goes running try agian. Miss. He goes over the hill and i follow. Trailing his blood to figure out which gulch he would have gone down. Hear some branches breaking, off he goes again. Over another hill. Still following blood. Bust him out of a small bunch of trees again. Over the hill and into the gulch. Decide to get ready in case i bump him again. Take my pack off and get ready to throw it down and use it as a rest for my rifle in case he bust out of the bottom of the gulch. Get near the top and hear braches breaking. Sit down with the pack in front of me. Got steady and took my shot and that was the end of it. Get up to the deer. Turns out he was actually a pretty nice deer. Big ol rutted neck. Fat body. And even had good mass on his antlers. 4x4 with a kicker at the base on the right side. Turns out the blood on his neck was from when someone shot him in the ear. Got him out of there hung up in the shed and gonna have the cwd test run on him. So hopefully gonna have some good sausage in the freezer.

Attachments

• 20201121_101544.jpg
    20201121_101544.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Snapchat-341474777.jpg
    Snapchat-341474777.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 136

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Managed to get the job done on opening morning this year. Got out before first light and found my spot on the side of the hill. Started watching down the flats to the east of me normally where they come from. Noticed a few hunters to the north. After about a half hour after sunrise saw a doe being chased around by a small forkey buck. And he was being harassed by another forkey as well. Watched these 3 deer go back and forth across the top of thi hill across from me. Heard a gunshot from the guys to the north and a few moments later i see another buck wander on in. He didnt look like anything special but i couldnt take my eyes off the left side of his neck. Looked like he had gotten shot and there was blood on it. Figured if i get a shot ill take him. Never got a shot on him as he was too far out. Watched him head west, and once the rest of the deer nearby had all moved on, i picked up and headed west too. Kept running into the 2 small bucks and the doe still chasing eachother around. Figure dont spook them in case the one i was looking for was in the gulch below them. Snuck around looking for a little while. Came across a small group of trees and here stands a buck. Wind was in my face and he was facing away so might as well take a couple pictures of that for fun since he was so close to me. He was just standing there. Not moving, head half way down. Figured that was weird. Started to take my gun off my pack just in case and he turned around so i could see his left side. Sure enough. Bloody neck. Shoot off hand, bad hit, low and forward. He goes running try agian. Miss. He goes over the hill and i follow. Trailing his blood to figure out which gulch he would have gone down. Hear some branches breaking, off he goes again. Over another hill. Still following blood. Bust him out of a small bunch of trees again. Over the hill and into the gulch. Decide to get ready in case i bump him again. Take my pack off and get ready to throw it down and use it as a rest for my rifle in case he bust out of the bottom of the gulch. Get near the top and hear braches breaking. Sit down with the pack in front of me. Got steady and took my shot and that was the end of it. Get up to the deer. Turns out he was actually a pretty nice deer. Big ol rutted neck. Fat body. And even had good mass on his antlers. 4x4 with a kicker at the base on the right side. Turns out the blood on his neck was from when someone shot him in the ear. Got him out of there hung up in the shed and gonna have the cwd test run on him. So hopefully gonna have some good sausage in the freezer.
That’s a sweet deer! I want to shoot a good whitetail. My brother and I went to
MT and stumbled on a 174 whitetail buck with two droppers. That is my only experience even seeing one up close. It was the most beautiful animal I’ve personally seen.

OP
yojo.3

yojo.3

FNG
Hey thanks guys. Just poster a picture of him hung up not too long ago.