Got the new Sitka Subalpine in

elkyinzer

WKR
Also just kinda gathering from the tone of your post and signature that you are a matching camo, hashtag your brand kinda guy? Live a little and mix and match what you gather over the years and what you decide you like! Could be freeing. New shiny shit ain't always all its cracked up to be. I'd as soon sell my kidney as my favorite, most time-tested hunting clothes, and they are about a dozen different camo patterns and brands. Don't be a slave to brands!

pwsINC

WKR
Also just kinda gathering from the tone of your post and signature that you are a matching camo, hashtag your brand kinda guy? Live a little and mix and match what you gather over the years and what you decide you like! Could be freeing. New shiny shit ain't always all its cracked up to be. I'd as soon sell my kidney as my favorite, most time-tested hunting clothes, and they are about a dozen different camo patterns and brands. Don't be a slave to brands!
Some people are just Matchers.
Some people go out of way to not be matchers.
Some don't care either way.

I agree with you, that for myself it's impossible to find a line from any brand that every piece works.

But I say if the man wants to match let him match :).

Elk have never had such fashionable adversaries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR

Actually not at all. Ive got all types of brands and camo patterns and I wear whatever the weather dictates but I will start out with a system just to give the companies research & development a try.
Which is why I bought this light weight Subalpine gear. I'm just putting my first opinion of it out there for others. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers bud.

On the matching camo note, I have a theory that by not having your tops and bottoms match your pattern would by less human looking. Like wearing a solid pant and camo jacket.
But it's just a theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with that theory

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pwsINC

WKR
I also like this theory

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
I called Sitka and of course great customer service.

I ended up keeping the mountains pants in a larger size and sending the ascent pants and mountain jacket back and ordering the jet stream jacket.

I got a nice little chuckle out of the part about the zipper being loud.

I don't know about deer but a zipper makes a damn good duck call... They always seem to decoy in right after it's down.

Last edited:
I got a nice little chuckle out of the part about the zipper being loud.

I don't know about deer but a zipper makes a damn good duck call... They always seem to come in right after it's down.

Duck sausage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just got my Sitka Ascent shirt in and I can see what you are saying about it being loud(er) then some of my other shirts. The lightweight core and traverse zip t are softer and should be quieter. It does have a nylon type scratch to it if I swing my arms around, but overall, I can't see being inside of ear shot of an animal and making that much movement to generate enough noise that you'd ever hear it.

I like it and am going to keep it. I think that shirt layered with a short sleeve core shirt will be money when its warm and sunny in Aug/Sept.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
I got the Jetstream Jacket in last night and great Sitka design and workmanship but still scratchy sounding.

Looking at first lite stuff now.

And it's all going back

I believe the fabric is loader than the old stuff. Not happy.

Ive been waiting for this new line since they announced it last year believing it was geared more towards bowhunter and it would be a quieter fabric. Nope.

Bought the Mountain Jacket and pants and the Ascent pants but didn't even open the pants to try them on.

May be back to their old stuff or Kuiu again.

I havent had this experience yet with it being loud...it could be a particular peice that is not like the other peices.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I felt the new mountain pants the other day. They seem to prioritize quick dry and durability. They make some noise being rubbed together, more than the old ones. I couldn't say if I thought it was "too much" but the difference in fabric is noticeable. My Kuiu attacks are certainly quieter, but they get beat to crap in the deadfall, so the Sitka approach seems like a step in the right direction.

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
I felt the new mountain pants the other day. They seem to prioritize quick dry and durability. They make some noise being rubbed together, more than the old ones. I couldn't say if I thought it was "too much" but the difference in fabric is noticeable. My Kuiu attacks are certainly quieter, but they get beat to crap in the deadfall, so the Sitka approach seems like a step in the right direction.

I agree with the Sitka and Kuiu comparison. I just wonder what is better, coming out of the woods with a nice kill or nice camo.

I thought Sitka was crazy durable before. Not sure if it's the new 2017 or the Subalpine camo but I may even start buying up the old stuff.

I'm looking at the First Lite stuff now.