Gotta hand it to CA D3-5 early season hunters

Last weekend I went into the D-3 zone just looking for an area to start branching out in search of bachelor bucks. I’ve never hunted any of the D zones. I’ve spent all my time in the C4 and X zones by my home. 2 things, 1st I gotta hand it to you boys who get it done in D3. That’s some super steep and very deep country. Elevation wise there’s nothing really high, but the angles are nuts and visibility is crap! My buddy and I traveled all over the D3 and couldn’t even cut tracks over dirt roads. That’s a first for me. 2nd boy did I develop an appreciation for living in Lassen county and having the terrain I do in my back yard. Regarding the D tag, I’ll keep with it, since I have a rifle and bow tag for the D3-5 zone. But I have no idea (at this point) where my journey will take me. Still haven’t even found where they are traveling. It’s looking like early season may not be an option and we will have to wait till they migrate out of the thick and shitty. On a comical note, I never knew there could be so many white people with dreadlocks and shiny puffy coats. Wow! That’s an interesting zone for sure. Lots of new age hipsters in the mountains. Boy they did not like seeing us in our Camo puffiest and Kifaru truck stickers. Haha. Well best of luck to all you CA hunters. I hope y’all stay safe, hunt hard, and bring home some food for your families.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfs82

WKR
For the love of all things deer please get a bear tag!! Ive seen 12 bears in my 2 days of scouting D zones already o_O
I was out near Wilseyville two weeks ago, not hunting (I've got B tags) but doing some fishing from a buddies cabin and saw 7 bears in 2.5 days on and around the river.

OP
bguitierez
You can hunt 5 days up there and see this and hunt your entire life in D zone and never lay eyes on anything this big.

Deezam!!! That’s dam fine buck. After this last weekend I know you earned that one bro. Awesome. I’ll get this zone figured out one of these days. Haha. Thanks so much for sharing.

JNDEER

WKR
Thanks bg. In all seriousness I have hunted A,B, D and when I drew the archery tag up there bucks were like flys on the fly trap compared to the other zones. True paradise for sure- although hearing a cat is down in the lower elevation this year and bucks are not as plentiful. Best of luck on the D zones.

The buck was killed up there- not in D zone.

Last edited:
OP
bguitierez
Thanks bg. In all seriousness I have hunted A,B, D and when I drew the archery tag up there bucks were like flys on the fly trap compared to the other zones. True paradise for sure- although hearing a cat is down in the lower elevation this year and bucks are not as plentiful. Best of luck on the D zones.

The buck was killed up there- not in D zone.

Either way that’s still a dam good buck brother.

jfs82

WKR
Speaking of bear in the D zones... Big big boy, this is Wilseyville

Attachments

• IMG_5299.jpg
    IMG_5299.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 129

slick

WKR
Thats a brute. Haven’t seen anything that big, and I’m in the Applegate just across the border every day.

D zones can be tough. I laugh when I hear guys that are going to hunt a D zone talk about sighting in for long range. Sure there are times, but not many. My advice: sight in for 200 yards, and spend your time getting good at fast target acquisition. Many D bucks I see during rifle are either running scared or jumped and flushed right in front of you.

OP
bguitierez
D zones can be tough. I laugh when I hear guys that are going to hunt a D zone talk about sighting in for long range. Sure there are times, but not many. My advice: sight in for 200 yards, and spend your time getting good at fast target acquisition. Many D bucks I see during rifle are either running scared or jumped and flushed right in front of you.

That would seem to be the case in that country. The visibility was definitely not wide open. It’s steep and deep.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
For the love of all things deer please get a bear tag!! Ive seen 12 bears in my 2 days of scouting D zones already o_O
I agree. We all need to do our part in CA. Killed my first bear this year and will continue to do my part if the opportunity arises in the future.