Gps 101

My GPS is outdated. It is a mapping model but the resolution and software sucks. Has anyone used the DeLorme units with the SPOT Locator, text messaging and tracking options? This would negate any need for a satellite phone but I was wondering if the rates were ridiculous since they know that a it could replace the need for a phone. Also, I wondered how the maps and interface work for hunters. I have messed with some of the touch screen units and wasn't impressed with them. Anyone have $0.02?

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry man. I debated between the Garmin and DeLorme. Went Garmin, and absolutely love it. Still have my SPOT II, but only activate if needed. Haven't used it in two years now.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garmin 550T. I like the touch screen, and camera. Its nice, when I take a picture of a wallow, or bench, or rubs, whatever it is it records the gps coordinates. Makes remembering what I labeled it meant! I have added the HuntingGPSMaps also, absolutely love them.

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
I have used all the major bran name GPS's. I now use the Delorm Pn-60 I don't have the spot locater yet but its on the list. The mapping software that comes with it is 2nd to none. there is sooooo soooo much you can do with it. Best feature is you can upload maps to internet for friends and hunting partners so look at and print. The software takes a little longer time to learn but thats because there are just too many extra cool thing you can do that you cant do with Garmin, Lorance, and Magellan. The unit its self has superior battery life and extremely great gps location under heavy trees and even in my house it works great because of the external antenna looking thing. The only unit that is as good as reception is the Garmin GPSMAP 62st that has the external antenna (witch helps with batteries as well cause it doesn't have to search as much), but the mapping software is not as good.

I have been looking into Garmin, DeLorme and Magellan. I know that the Garmin is the only system that currently accepts a mapping system out here for Colorado so I have been leaning that way. I currently don't own or use one so I am a little lost here.

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking into Garmin, DeLorme and Magellan. I know that the Garmin is the only system that currently accepts a mapping system out here for Colorado so I have been leaning that way. I currently don't own or use one so I am a little lost here.

The DeLorme has all the BLM and Hunting Units and everything you posably can use for Mapping in CO

Curtis C

WKR
I have the Delorme PN60 with Spot. I think the GPS is as good as any others out there. The mapping software that comes with it has taken some getting used to for me. With a little practice you will find they do more than most will use in a hunting environment.

Being able to send a text home when I am running late or staying over has been quite nice. I throw the tracking page up on my PC and leave it while I am away. The wife will check it on occasion so she has a good idea how things are going from what the screen shows.

If you have any specific questions about the PN60 SPOT combo just ask and I will see if I can help.

C