GPS app for iPhone

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
Seen a few threads talking about apps for gps on the iPhone. On the market to give one a go, just not sure which one. From the threads I've read, can't figure which one is best, or better yet will suit my needs. Figured I would make a thread and concentrate the search effort. I don't mind paying for the app, just want something with good topo maps and is pretty accurate. Also has to work where there is no cell service. Mahalo.

I was going to ask the same thing. I know on another thread, a lot of guys were speaking very highly of Gaia. It $20, and has loads of features that you'd probably like. Check it out.

After all the chatter I got Gaia 2 days ago. It was $20 but then I added Gaia Green which was another $20 and this allows you to access more features. The most important to me of these was the ability to use UTM coordinates which I couldn't do with the initial $20 app. So far the maps look very nice. I started adding some way points from Garmin to it. I still have not figured out how to over lay Google Earth on it or if it is possible.

All the GPS apps are going to require you to download the maps for your area prior to you trip.

Free: GPS hiker. this app does work, but its not very intuitive. Its not very polished but its free.

Trimble outdoors: I would only get this app if you need/want public land maps. its the only app I found that has public land maps.

Gaia: I think its the best pure backpacking app.

Apps I also like while backpacking.

Free flashlight app: turns your iphones flash into a flashlight.

Audible: Audio book app

Backpackers check list. Simple but effective checklist for your phone.

Photo timer app: best way to take "selfies" if you running Solo.

Gas Buddy: find cheapest gas while your on out of state road trips.

Tapatalk: best app for stalking the forums.